[Thermodynamics] Is this even possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adiabatic expansion and compression and how they relate to the exchange of heat and work in a gas system. A asks about the possibility of increasing pressure at C during an adiabatic expansion, to which B explains that the internal energy of the gas remains unchanged during free expansion, but increases during adiabatic compression due to work being done on the gas.
Farina
I'm not asking about the specific questions contained in the attached document - I know all the answers. I'm wondering if this is even possible.

A to B: free expansion (which I take always means "adiabatic free expansion").

B to C: adiabatic compression.

Adiabatic means no heat is exchanged. So if system is returned to its original volume adiabatically, and no heat is exchanged, what -- physically -- could account for an increased pressure at C??

Attachments

• is this possible.JPG
    is this possible.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 549
Science news on Phys.org
During the free expansion, no work is done by the gas and no heat is exchanged, so the internal energy of the gas is unchanged. During the adiabatic compression, however, while it is true that no heat is exchanged, work is done on the gas by the piston doing the compression. So the internal energy of the gas is increased.

Likes 1 person

1. Is it possible for an object to have zero entropy?

According to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of a closed system can never decrease, so it is not possible for an object to have zero entropy. However, if the object is at absolute zero temperature, its entropy would approach zero.

2. Can energy be created or destroyed according to thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This is known as the law of conservation of energy.

3. Does thermodynamics only apply to systems in equilibrium?

No, thermodynamics can also be applied to systems that are not in equilibrium, but the equations and principles may be different. For non-equilibrium systems, thermodynamic quantities such as entropy and energy are constantly changing.

4. Can thermodynamics be applied to living organisms?

Yes, thermodynamics can be applied to living organisms and biological systems. In fact, the principles of thermodynamics are essential for understanding processes such as metabolism and energy transfer in living organisms.

5. Is it possible to reverse the effects of the second law of thermodynamics?

No, the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system can never decrease, so it is not possible to reverse its effects. However, some processes can temporarily decrease the entropy of a system, but the overall trend is always towards increased entropy.