Can Linear and Angular Momentum Be Combined in Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular momentum in Lagrangian mechanics. The speakers question how the angular momentum of a point mass changes as it moves in the x-y plane and whether it tends towards zero as the mass continues in the positive x direction. They also discuss the relation between linear and angular momentum and whether they can be combined into a total momentum.
dyn
Hi,

I,ve been looking through some notes on Lagrangian mechanics but they have got me confused so i'll start from the beginning.
If a point mass is moving in the x-y plane with constant velocity v at a y-coordinate r then it has linear momentum mv which is a constant but it has an angular momentum about the origin of mrv at x=0 ? If the point mass continues in the positive x direction towards ∞ then it its angular momentum must tend to zero ? What happens to conservation of angular momentum ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are your sure that the angular momentum would tend toward zero? What happens to the angular velocity as the mass continues moving in the positive direction?

I was using angular momentum=mrvsinθ and as x→0 then sinθ→0

I meant as x→∞ then θ→0 and sinθ→0

I've figured that now. The angle gets smaller but the modulus of the position vector gets bigger so the angular momentum stays the same.
So all linear motion that is not radial has an angular momentum about the origin ?
For a point mass is there such a thing as total momentum combining linear momentum and angular momentum ?

Linear and angular momentum can't be summed up together as they have different units, so their mere sum won't make sense

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while angular momentum refers to the measure of an object's rotational motion around an axis.

2. What is the formula for calculating linear momentum?

The formula for linear momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. How is angular momentum conserved in a closed system?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant, as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

4. Can an object have both linear and angular momentum?

Yes, an object can have both linear and angular momentum. For example, a spinning top has both rotational and translational motion, and therefore has both angular and linear momentum.

5. How does changing the mass or velocity of an object affect its linear momentum?

According to the formula p = m * v, increasing the mass or velocity of an object will also increase its linear momentum. Likewise, decreasing the mass or velocity will result in a decrease in linear momentum.