What do P, p(subscript r), and L represent in the 2-Body Lagrangian problem?

In summary: In another approach, the relative ##r## coordinate would be the distance from one point on the boundary of the system to the centre of mass. And the relative ##\phi## coordinate would be the angle the point makes with the boundary.
dyn
I have been looking at the problem of 2 point masses connected by a spring in polar coordinates. The problem is solved using the center of mass coordinate R and the relative coordinate r where M=total mass and m=reduced mass. The Euler-Lagrange equations then give equations for P(a vector) and p(subscript r) and L(which i think is p subscript θ). But i don't understand what these 3 quantities represent ?
Is it motion about the origin or the center of mass ? Is it in the radial direction ? p subscript r normally is but this time r is the relative coordinate , not necessarily radial.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The very first thing to do when using Lagrangian formalism is to determine your degrees of freedom.

Then introduce coordinates that express those degrees of freedom most naturally.

The center of mass coordinate has 2 degrees of freedom (R , θ ) and the relative coordinate has 2 degrees of freedom ( r and some other angle, i don't know what this is)

If the system is confined to a plane, I agree. But is it?

Anyway, assuming it is planar, what do you not understand here?

If the system is planar, then you should obtain four differential equations of motion from forming the system Lagrangian and applying the Euler-Lagrange operator.

yes the system is planar but i don't understand what the quantities found by solving the E-L equations represent. I know what is the momentum of the center of mass but what are the others ?

You should get a system of four (probably nonlinear) ODEs which you can solve (most likely numerically) for your generalized coordinates as a function of time.

The Euler-Lagrange operator applied to the Lagrangian will give you an equation of motion. You can check your result by using another method, e.g. Newton, Hamilton, Kane, or Gibbs-Appell.

dyn said:
yes the system is planar but i don't understand what the quantities found by solving the E-L equations represent. I know what is the momentum of the center of mass but what are the others ?

The quantities found from the E-L equations are the same quantities you used to compose the expressions for kinetic and potential energies for the Lagrangian function. If you do not understand what they are, then how did you obtain your Lagrangian?

I don't understand what the difference is between the generalised momentums of the centre of mass and the relative coordinate ? And what point is the angular momentum of the relative coordinate about ?

These details depend on how exactly the coordinates were introduced. In one approach, the relative ##r## coordinate would be the distance from one mass to the centre of mass. And the relative ##\phi## coordinate would be the angle the mass-to-mass line makes with come fixed direction, say the vertical if the plane of motion is vertical, or the North-South line if the plane is horizontal.

1. What is the 2-Body Lagrangian problem?

The 2-Body Lagrangian problem is a mathematical and physical problem that describes the motion of two point masses or particles under the influence of their mutual gravitational attraction. It is an important problem in classical mechanics and has applications in celestial mechanics and astrophysics.

2. What is the Lagrangian function in the 2-Body Lagrangian problem?

The Lagrangian function in the 2-Body Lagrangian problem is a mathematical function that represents the total kinetic and potential energy of the two point masses in the system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system and is used to describe the dynamics of the system.

3. How is the 2-Body Lagrangian problem solved?

The 2-Body Lagrangian problem can be solved using the Lagrangian equations of motion. These equations are derived from the Lagrangian function and describe the evolution of the system over time. They can be solved analytically or numerically using various techniques such as the Runge-Kutta method.

4. What are the key assumptions in the 2-Body Lagrangian problem?

The 2-Body Lagrangian problem makes several key assumptions, including that the two point masses are point particles, that the system is isolated and not influenced by external forces, and that the gravitational force between the two masses follows Newton's law of gravitation.

5. What are the applications of the 2-Body Lagrangian problem?

The 2-Body Lagrangian problem has applications in celestial mechanics, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites in the solar system. It is also used in astrophysics to model the interactions between stars and galaxies, and in engineering for spacecraft trajectory planning and control.