Material Balance: Determine Minimum Ditch Length for 90% Odour Reduction

In summary, the minimum ditch length to ensure the wastes reach the environmental guideline for odour is 12 meters.
dimens

Homework Statement

Question 1.
An industry uses a long drainage ditch to break down their wastes and in particular to remove the odour. The waste travels along the ditch at a velocity of 0.5 m/h. The odour is reduced as a first order reaction with a reaction constant of k=0.30 day-1 The company must reduce the original odour emissions of the waste by 90% to reach the environmental guideline for acceptable odour.
What is the minimum ditch length (in m) to ensure the wastes reach the environmental guideline for odour?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking because the velocity is 0.5m/h = 12m/day and the 90% would mean the odour would flow for 3 days, 12*3 = 36m. However I'm not sure what equation should be used or if I'm approaching this completely wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dimens! :smile:
dimens said:
…with a reaction constant of k=0.30 day-1

"reaction constant" has a definition, and that definition is an equation

what is that equation? :wink:

Reaction constant is the speed of which a reaction creates or reducts? I always thought it was r = k[a]??

eek! :eek:

what is r ? what is a ? :confused:

(is r a derivative? if so, of what?)

[a] concentration of substance in a first order reaction
r = reaction?

?
I'm feeling so dumb and confused right now lol

(have you done calculus?)

r is the rate at which a (the amount) is getting smaller

so r = -da/dt,

and so da/dt = -ka :wink:

Likes 1 person
Haven't done calculus for a few years and even still I was pretty pedestrian with it. Referring back to the initial question, does that mean we substitute our own values in and assume? There's no amount given in the original question only a percentage they want reduced.

dimens said:
Haven't done calculus for a few years …

sorry, but you're going to need to dust off those calculus books for this course! :wink:

to get you started, the solution to da/dt = -ka is a(t) = a(0)e-kt :smile:

In tiny-tim's equation, t is the cumulative residence time in the ditch. So t = x/v, where x is the distance along the ditch.

Chet

Making a little more sense, but do we substitute values in for potential concentrations? As there's none stated only percentage we want to lose? So we've got 100% initially going into the lake, then 10% in the output.

100pm= 1000ppm * e ^ -(0.30/day*(x*0.5m/hr)

Last edited:
you need to think more in terms of equations

your basic equation is a(t) = a(0)e-kt

so the equation the question needs you to solve is a(t) = a(0)*0.1,

which becomes e-kt = 0.1 :wink:

(or kt = -ln(0.1) = ln(10))

Really appreciate the help guys, I think I'm almost there.

But I'm having trouble with the units, it should only be in meters these give me a weird set of units.

Last edited:
dimens said:
But I'm having trouble with the units, it should only be in meters these give me a weird set of units.

let's see :smile:

k = 0.3/day

kt = ln(10), so t = ln(10)/k = ln(10)/0.3 days

and now multiply by metres/day to get metres …

what weird units were you getting?​

Thanks for the reply, just realized my original workings are wrong...

t = ln(10)/0.3days
t = 7.67/days
t = x/v
x/v=7.67/days
x = 7.67/day * (0.5 m/hour * 24 hours/day)
x = 7.67/day * (12m/day)
x = 92m/day^2??

dimens said:
Thanks for the reply, just realized my original workings are wrong...

t = ln(10)/0.3days
t = 7.67/days

careful! :rolleyes:

t = 7.67 days

(what else could the units of t be? :wink:)​

Should they all be in SI units? So seconds?

dimens said:
Should they all be in SI units? So seconds?

no, the units of time can be anything, days seconds, hours, it doesn't matter

but you wrote /days instead of days, which is why you finished with /days2

Definitely feeling silly and like I need to polish up my maths skills right now. With my fix up of my units:t = ln(10)/0.3days
t = 7.67 days
t = x/v
x/v=7.67 days
x = 7.67 day * (0.5 m/hour * 24 hours/day)
x = 7.67 day * (12m/day)
x = 92m

Cheers, much appreciated and thankyou.

What is material balance?

Material balance is a fundamental principle in science and engineering that involves accounting for all material inputs and outputs in a given system. It is used to determine the overall mass and energy balance of a system and is essential for understanding and optimizing processes.

Why is material balance important?

Material balance is important because it allows scientists and engineers to accurately track and quantify the flow of materials through a system. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing processes, identifying potential sources of pollution or inefficiency, and ensuring the sustainability of a system.

What is the purpose of determining the minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction?

The purpose of determining the minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction is to identify the optimal length of a ditch or channel that is required to reduce odour emissions by 90%. This is important for mitigating the negative impacts of odour pollution on the environment and human health.

How is the minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction calculated?

The minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction is calculated by using material balance principles to determine the mass of odorous compounds entering and leaving the ditch. This information is then used to determine the appropriate length of the ditch needed to achieve a 90% reduction in odour emissions.

What factors can affect the minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction?

The minimum ditch length for 90% odour reduction can be affected by various factors such as the type and concentration of odorous compounds present, temperature, wind speed, and the design and efficiency of the ditch. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the minimum ditch length for a specific system.