How many particles could be crammed into the universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim of the Observable Universe Volume being approximately 4.077 × 10^32 cubic light-years and the Whole Finite Universe being estimated at 1.17 × 10^33 to 2.34 × 10^33 cubic light-years. The speaker then poses a hypothetical question about the smallest known particle and how many could fit into the universe. They also mention the fascination and power of mathematics in being able to calculate such large numbers. The conversation ends with a discussion about estimating the number of atoms in a grain of sand.
Atomised
Gold Member
I came across the following claim:

Observable Universe Volume
~ 4.077 × 10^32 cubic light-years
Whole Finite Universe, Poincaré dodecahedral best guess
~ 1.17 × 10^33 to 2.34 × 10^33 cubic light-years

Assuming this to be correct (or improve on it), what is the smallest known particle and how many could be fitted into the universe?

This is one of the most ludicrous hypothetical questions imaginable but I think I heard a discussion of something among these lines somewhere.

The real fascination for me is how such dangerous to contemplate numbers can be jotted down on a text message. Surely this is a reflection on the phenomenal power of mathematics. Anyway, back to that number...

If it all gets too odd with quarks perhaps it could be estimated for carbon atoms.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you know roughly how many atoms are in a grain of sand? Thinking about that means I'm therefore too lazy to even begin to attempt this.

1. How is the number of particles in the universe estimated?

The number of particles in the universe is estimated through various methods, such as counting the number of galaxies and stars, measuring the mass of the universe, and using mathematical models based on the known laws of physics. However, the exact number is still unknown and is constantly being revised as new discoveries are made.

2. Is the number of particles in the universe infinite?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the number of particles in the universe is infinite. In fact, many scientists believe that the universe is finite and has a limited number of particles, although this number may be incredibly large.

3. How does the number of particles in the universe compare to the number of atoms?

The number of particles in the universe is significantly larger than the number of atoms. While there are estimated to be around 10^80 atoms in the observable universe, the number of particles is thought to be at least 10^89, and possibly much higher.

4. Can humans comprehend the vastness of the number of particles in the universe?

The number of particles in the universe is so large that it is difficult for humans to comprehend. It is a number that is beyond our everyday experience and is constantly expanding as the universe continues to evolve. However, scientists use mathematical models and methods to help us understand and make sense of these vast numbers.

5. Could there be particles in the universe that we have not yet discovered?

It is possible that there are particles in the universe that have not yet been discovered. In fact, scientists are constantly searching for new particles and have already discovered many through experiments and observations. There may be even more particles that we have not yet detected, and this is an area of ongoing research in the field of physics.