Why did Earth lose its first atmosphere but keep its second?

In summary: No no, that's not exasperation, that's me casting a spell.This is similar to the reason Mars currently has a 95% CO2 atmosphere. In the past it is theorized that it had a very different composition but the lack of a magnetic field and light gravity allowed the solar wind to strip most of the other elements. CO2 remained because it is heavier and harder for the solar wind to strip away.
curious_ocean
I'm trying to get a basic understanding of Earth's origins in order to teach an advanced oceanography course to high school students this summer. The course starts with one lecture on the origins of the universe, solar system, the earth, and the ocean. Why did Earth lose its first atmosphere but keep its second?

As I understand, the Earth had a "first atmosphere" that was made up of mostly hydrogen and helium accumulated from the solar nebula. The Earth was too small and too hot to hold on to these gases when our young star began to generate energetic solar winds and the first atmosphere was "blown off". Later a second atmosphere was created by outgassing (volcanic eruptions) and impact degassing (vaporizing asteroids/comets). This atmosphere stayed. Why? Was it because the Earth was now more massive and commanded a stronger gravitational hold of this atmosphere? Was it because this atmosphere was made up of heavier molecules that could not escape to space as easily? Was it because the Earth had cooled, so these molecules did not have the energy to escape? Was it because the sun's solar winds became weaker? Was it because the Earth's magnetic field formed and acted as a shield that protected this second atmosphere?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I believe it is mostly because hydrogen and helium are so light that the atoms have MUCH higher average velocities than other gases like oxygen and nitrogen when they are at the same temperature.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Drakkith! I had read a lot of different stuff and perhaps this reason is the simplest and therefore best explanation, at least for the present purpose of teaching this class. I appreciate it!

The early Earth had hardly any oxygen. Oxygen is primarily a waste product of biological activity. Lighter gasses, like H and He, were easily lost, as Drakkith noted. The chemistry of the young Earth atmosphere was complex and many reactions occurred. The relatively low gravity of Earth allowed the lighter ones to be lost more easily than heavier ones.

Likes 1 person
I would check what fraction of the molecules of a given mass have speed higher than the escape velocity.

That's not different from what Drak wrote, just less handwavy :wink:

Chronos said:
The early Earth had hardly any oxygen.

To be pedantic, it had hardly any oxygen gas. Don't forget that water is almost 90% oxygen by mass, not to mention the oxygen content in rocks - e.g. sand is mainly silicon dioxide.

There was little free oxygen gas because it is highly reactive. As Chronos said, the current high level of free oxygen is maintained by photosynthesis. When photosynthesis first developed, the organisms that used it had a huge advantage in exploiting a "free" energy source (the sun), and the waste product of highly reactive oxygen gas was poisonous to most of the other life on Earth at that time - though of course it also created the opportunity for oxygen-breathing animals to evolve.

Borek said:
That's not different from what Drak wrote, just less handwavy :wink:

I do not wave my hands!
:tongue:

Drakkith said:
I do not wave my hands!
:tongue:

oh yes you do, usually in exasperation :wink:

Mordred said:
oh yes you do, usually in exasperation :wink:

No no, that's not exasperation, that's me casting a spell.

This is similar to the reason Mars currently has a 95% CO2 atmosphere. In the past it is theorized that it had a very different composition but the lack of a magnetic field and light gravity allowed the solar wind to strip most of the other elements. CO2 remained because it is heavier and harder for the solar wind to strip away.

1. Why did Earth lose its first atmosphere?

Earth's first atmosphere was lost due to a process called thermal escape. The high temperature of the early Earth caused the gases in the atmosphere to move faster and eventually escape into space.

2. What caused the high temperature of the early Earth?

The high temperature of the early Earth was caused by intense volcanic activity and the bombardment of the planet by large asteroids and comets. This increased the heat and pressure on the surface, leading to the loss of the first atmosphere.

3. How did Earth keep its second atmosphere?

Earth was able to keep its second atmosphere because the planet had cooled down significantly by then, which prevented gases from escaping into space. Additionally, the development of a magnetic field also helped to protect the atmosphere from the solar wind.

4. What is the composition of Earth's second atmosphere?

Earth's second atmosphere is composed mostly of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with trace amounts of other gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and noble gases. This composition is the result of biological processes that have occurred over billions of years.

5. Will Earth's second atmosphere eventually be lost as well?

It is unlikely that Earth's second atmosphere will be lost completely. The planet's magnetic field and its distance from the Sun provide a stable environment for the atmosphere to remain intact. However, human activities such as deforestation and greenhouse gas emissions can have a negative impact on the atmosphere and lead to its gradual depletion.