Geomagnetic Field Reversal

• Thread starter Lacy33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: Earth's geomagnetic field is a significant event that has had a profound effect on the evolution of humanoid life. However, there is still much debate among researchers as to just how this event has influenced human history.
Lacy33
Without pulling out the paper I wrote 10 some years ago discussing the geomagnetic field reversal, I would like to know what current data analysis agrees on about the following:
From journals, Nature and Science back as many years ago, I found the science community speculating that at the time of a reversal, GFR, things on the planet changed, such as the emergence of man, the disappearance of certain creatures.
In other words signifigant events in world history.
Is this still a belief of leading researchers?

Thank you,
Suzanne Elizabeth Seitz

Also posted in Astronomy & Cosmology section.

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Ive looked this up and no link seems to exist.

Humanoid life has not been influenced by the last mafnetic reversal for as far as is presently known.

Nerro said:
Ive looked this up and no link seems to exist.

Humanoid life has not been influenced by the last mafnetic reversal for as far as is presently known.

Thank you.

Since you looked it up, when was the last GFR?
And did it say when we are due for another?
Please.

S

I think statistically we are overdue for another reversal, but I'm not sure about this. I don't have a link though, I remember my geology lecturer presenting some data when I was studying this 6 months ago.

The last field reversal was 780,000 years ago, beginning the Brunhes Normal Chron. That was preceeded by the Matuyama Reverse Chron which began 2.5million years ago. There have been at least 12 magnetic reversals in the last 4 million years, as each chron (a period where the magnetic field is predominantely in one direction) is interspersed with short periods of the opposite field direction. From memory the Matuyama Chron had 3 or 4 of these, but we haven't had one during the Brunhes.

Considering that there have been super-chrons of tens of millions years, statistics have no meaning I'd say. To be more precieze the last chrons are: Brunhes -0.789 Mya- Matuyama - 2.581 Mya - Gauss - 3.58 Mya - Gilbert

Although Brunhes has no subchrons, there have been many more geomagnetic excursions, a collapse of the magnetic field, hardly known of the orther chrons, There is mild dispute whether those excursions are related to ice age climate and or cosmogenic radioactivity.

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/inqu/finalprogram/abstract_54960.htm says yes,
but this one says no.

Thank you to all.

This has been very valuble to me and am already making my way back into this area if investigation.

S

1. What is Geomagnetic Field Reversal?

Geomagnetic field reversal is a phenomenon where the polarity of the Earth's magnetic field flips, meaning that the North and South poles switch places. This causes the compass needle to point in the opposite direction.

2. How often does Geomagnetic Field Reversal occur?

Geomagnetic field reversal is a rare occurrence, happening only a few times in the history of the Earth. The last reversal happened about 780,000 years ago, and it is estimated to happen about every 200,000-300,000 years.

3. What causes Geomagnetic Field Reversal?

The exact cause of Geomagnetic Field Reversal is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to changes in the Earth's outer core. As the liquid iron in the outer core moves and flows, it generates the Earth's magnetic field. When there is a change in the flow, it can cause the field to weaken and reverse.

4. How does Geomagnetic Field Reversal affect the Earth?

Geomagnetic Field Reversal has been linked to potential disruptions in navigation systems and animal migration patterns. It can also affect the Earth's climate and may cause changes in the Earth's magnetic shield, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.

5. Is Geomagnetic Field Reversal a sign of an impending apocalypse?

No, Geomagnetic Field Reversal is a natural process that has occurred multiple times in the Earth's history. There is no evidence to suggest that it will lead to an apocalypse or any major catastrophic events. However, it is important for scientists to continue studying and monitoring this phenomenon to better understand its effects on our planet and its inhabitants.