DVD Creation Help: How to Burn AVI Files to DVD

• Thread starter Cyclotron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Creation
In summary, you need to save your videos in MPEG2 format before you can burn them to a DVD. If you're using a cheaper software, you may not be able to make the DVD look as good as you want it to.
Cyclotron
Hi,

I am wondering when you want to burn a film or documentary to a dvd to watch on your home tv theatre, how do you go about it.
I have aload of science documentaries that I want to burn to dvd and when I do my dvd player downstairs cannot read the dvd cd. Why is this?
Do I have to convert the .avi file to some other format before burning to the dvd? I am using Roxio DVD Builder 6. But I really don't even know how to use the program.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Use the help guide with whatever program you are using unless you can get lucky and find someone on here who knows how to use that specific program. The program will basically take the avi file and convert it to the file structure DVD videos are done in

Yea but you see with Roxio when I search for my video files there is no option to search for .avi so I cannot see them therefore drag them down to for burning.

You'll probably want something like TMPGEnc.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The videos probably need to be saved in mpeg2 format (the format of dvds) before you can even see them with the burner program. You may need to get a better burner program (that will convert any video as necessary) or a better video editor (that will build all the dvd files necessary).

Hum... doesn't it require a DVD software that's able to master a DVD movie disk? I have saved my edited movies in mpeg, avi, etc. I don't think this is an issue. However, during the mastering of the DVD, it writes it in a different format than DVD data. So software like Pinacle, DVD Architect, etc. will take those mpeg or avi files and master it into a DVD movie disk that DVD players can read. You can also make menus and other effects to your heart's content.

If you want a simple DVD movie editing/mastering software, Pinacle is a good start (cheap too, less than $100). Or if you can afford it and serious with movie editing and DVD mastering, get Sony Vegas+DVD.

Zz.

1. What software do I need to burn AVI files to DVD?

There are various software options available, both free and paid, that can be used to burn AVI files to DVD. Some popular choices include Nero, ImgBurn, and WinX DVD Author.

2. What is the best format for burning AVI files to DVD?

The best format for burning AVI files to DVD is MPEG-2. This format is compatible with most DVD players and provides high-quality video and audio.

3. Can I add multiple AVI files to one DVD?

Yes, most DVD burning software allows you to add multiple AVI files to one DVD. You can arrange the files in the desired order and customize the DVD menu as well.

4. How long does it take to burn AVI files to DVD?

The time it takes to burn AVI files to DVD depends on various factors such as the file size, DVD burning speed, and computer specifications. On average, it can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes.

5. Can I play the burned DVD on any DVD player?

If you have burned the AVI files using a compatible format (such as MPEG-2) and on a DVD-R disc, then it should be playable on most DVD players. However, some older or cheaper DVD players may not support burned DVDs.