Calculating Stopping Distances: Braking vs. Accelerating at an Intersection

• Thread starter thschica
  • Start date
In summary, the driver should make a run for it, as she can travel a total of 33.506 meters before stopping.
thschica
A person driving her car at 57 km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0 s before turning to red, and she is 30 m away from the near side of the intersection .Should she try to stop, or should she make a run for it? The intersection is 15 m wide. Her car's maximum deceleration is -6.6 m/s2, whereas it can accelerate from 57 km/h to 70 km/h in 3.9 s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction time.

If she hits the brakes, how far will she travel before stopping?
19 m (I know how to do this one )

If she hits the gas instead, how far will she travel before the light turns red?
? m (How would I do this one?)

Physics news on Phys.org
"whereas it can accelerate from 57 km/h to 70 km/h in 3.9 s."
How can you find her possible acceleration from this piece of info?

her speed changes from 57km/h to 70 km/h, which is a change of 13 km/h, in 3.9s.
13 km/h = 13/3.6 = 3.6 m/s
So, accln is 3.6/3.9 = .925 m/s²

If she hits the gas instead, how far will she travel before the light turns red?
? m (How would I do this one?)
You know the accln.
You know her initial speed.
You know the time limit during which she can travel.

Use the suvat eqn for distance traveled under constant accln.

a=.93
Initial speed =15.83
time = 2secs
is that right? I just can't seem to get the right answer.

That's right - you should have used the eqn: s = ut + ½at².

If you used that, what did you get.

Is the correct answer 33.52 ?

yep - close enough, depending on rounding errors.

a = 0.923 m/s²
u = 15.83 m/s
t = 2 s

s = ut + ½at²
s = 15.83*2 + ½*0.923*4
s = 31.66 + 1.846
s = 33.506 m
========

Thanks a lot for everything!

1. How do I know when my experiment is complete?

The completion of an experiment is dependent on the specific objectives and goals of the experiment. It is important to determine clear criteria for success before beginning the experiment. Once those criteria are met, the experiment can be considered complete.

2. How do I analyze my data to draw a conclusion?

To analyze data, it is important to first organize and clean the data to identify any outliers or errors. Then, statistical analysis methods can be used to analyze the data and identify patterns or correlations. This information can then be used to draw a conclusion.

3. How do I ensure the accuracy of my results?

To ensure the accuracy of results, it is important to follow strict protocols and procedures during the experiment. This includes accurately measuring and recording data, controlling variables, and conducting the experiment multiple times to verify results. Peer review and replication of the experiment by other scientists can also help to verify the accuracy of results.

4. How do I interpret unexpected or conflicting results?

Unexpected or conflicting results are common in scientific experiments and can provide valuable insights. It is important to carefully examine the data and consider any potential sources of error or bias. Consulting with colleagues or conducting further experiments can also help to provide a better understanding of the results.

5. How do I properly document my research?

Proper documentation of research is essential for ensuring the reproducibility and credibility of scientific studies. This includes keeping detailed records of experimental procedures, data, and results. It is also important to properly cite any sources used and follow ethical guidelines for reporting research findings.