Grievances against professors

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the conversation is about filing grievances against professors or requesting a change of grade. One person mentions a first year professor who was unprofessional with grading, while another shares their experience of dropping a class due to disorganization and switching to a different one. They also mention a roommate who had their grade changed by petitioning the professor directly.
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Have any of you filed any grievances against professors or have requested a change of grade onto the administration?

Have any of you had a first year professor...personality not so bad...but was unprofessional with grading, racking off points here and there as he pleased without taking into account the work and quality of the answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a first-year professor whose class looked like it was going to be terribly unorganized this semester, so I just dropped it and switched to a German class instead. My roommate actually had her grade changed from a summer course, but she did that by petitioning the professor directly, not through the administration.

I understand the importance of fair and objective evaluation in academic settings. If a student feels that they have been unfairly graded or treated by a professor, it is their right to file a grievance or request a grade change through the proper channels within the administration. It is important for students to have confidence in the grading process and feel that their efforts and work are being evaluated fairly.

In regards to the specific situation described, it is concerning to hear that a professor may be grading unprofessionally and arbitrarily. This can not only affect individual students, but also the overall integrity of the academic institution. If students believe that a professor is not adhering to fair grading practices, it is important to bring this to the attention of the administration so that appropriate action can be taken. It is also important for students to communicate their concerns directly with the professor and try to resolve the issue before pursuing a formal grievance.

In conclusion, it is important for both students and professors to uphold academic integrity and fairness in the evaluation process. If a student feels that their grievances have not been addressed, they have the right to escalate the issue to the administration for further review.

What are some common grievances against professors?

Some common grievances against professors include unfair grading practices, lack of availability or communication, and biased or discriminatory behavior.

How can I address a grievance against a professor?

If you have a grievance against a professor, it is important to first attempt to resolve the issue directly with the professor. If this is not possible or does not resolve the issue, you can also bring your concerns to the department chair or a higher administrator.

What should I do if I feel like my professor is grading me unfairly?

If you feel that your professor is grading you unfairly, it is important to gather evidence to support your claim. This could include keeping track of your grades, requesting a copy of your graded assignments, or seeking feedback from other students in the class. You can then bring this evidence to the appropriate department or administrator to address your concerns.

What actions can I take if I experience discriminatory behavior from a professor?

If you experience discriminatory behavior from a professor, you can first try to address the issue directly with the professor. If this does not resolve the issue, you can report the behavior to the appropriate department or administrator. In some cases, you may also have the option to file a formal complaint with the institution.

What steps can I take to prevent or address grievances against professors?

To prevent or address grievances against professors, it is important to communicate openly and respectfully with your professors. If you have concerns, address them promptly and directly. It can also be helpful to document any issues or concerns, and to seek support from other students or faculty members if needed.