What is the explanation behind matrices in Algebra?

In summary, matrices are tables of numbers used for various applications, such as solving systems of linear equations. They can also represent physical states or properties of matter and are important in linear transformations. They can be added and multiplied and have applications in various fields such as Kirchhoff's laws and determining solutions within systems of equations. They are commonly discussed in the Linear and Abstract Algebra forum.
eNathan
I am currently working on Matrices in my Algebra. I have not seen much talk about it on these forums. Can somebody please explain it? They look like

|5 6 2 0|
|5 0 4 8|
|5 5 7 6|
|8 4 6 1|

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Simply put, a matrix is a table of m columns and n rows in which you place numbers.
The applications are very different, solving lineair systems is a very common one.

What good do matrices do in the real world? I.E. what are they used for?

How do you compute matrix set? I have a question here that asks "the cofactor of a_22 = 5 is?" :uhh: it all seems confusing. I learned about 3*3 matrices a few months ago, but I heard that they get a lot harder when n > 3 and m > 3.

As I said, one of the most common (and important) uses is that you can use matrixes to solve systems of lineair equations (by, for example, using gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule for square matrices).

To fully understand minors/cofactors, you'll need to know what determinants are, do you?

TD said:
Simply put, a matrix is a table of m columns and n rows in which you place numbers.
The applications are very different, solving lineair systems is a very common one.

That's an "array" or a "tableau". Any definition of matrices has to include the ability to add and multiply them.

Which is why I said "simply put" :smile:

You can also think of a matrix as an ordered data structure. A matrix often describes a physical state or property of matter.

eNathan said:
What good do matrices do in the real world? I.E. what are they used for?
Too many things to list. From using them with kirchhoffs laws, to the cross product rule, to determining the amount of solutions within the system of equations.

eNathan said:
I have not seen much talk about it on these forums.
Have you looked?!

Matrices are important because a great many things can be represented as matrices.

The first example people learn is that of a linear transformation, when dealing with vector spaces. A linear transformation T is a function satisfying:

T(αx + βy) = αT(x) + βT(y)

where α and β are scalars. (If the scalars are, for example, real numbers, we say that this is an R-linear transformation)

Linear transformations are important because they respect the indicated algebraic operations.

eNathan said:
I have not seen much talk about it on these forums.

Check the "Linear and Abstract Algebra" forum!

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent and manipulate data in a concise and organized way. Matrices are commonly used in various fields of mathematics, science, and engineering.

2. How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, the matrices must have the same dimensions. This means that they must have the same number of rows and columns. To add or subtract, simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix. The result will be a new matrix with the same dimensions as the original matrices.

3. What is matrix multiplication and how is it performed?

Matrix multiplication is a way to combine two matrices to create a new matrix. It involves multiplying the elements of one matrix by the elements of another matrix and adding the results. The number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. Matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning the order in which you multiply the matrices matters.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a special type of square matrix where the elements on the main diagonal are all 1s and all other elements are 0s. When a matrix is multiplied by the identity matrix, the result is the original matrix. It is often denoted as I or In, where n is the size of the matrix.

5. How are matrices used in real life?

Matrices are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as computer graphics, economics, physics, and statistics. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis, as well as in engineering and scientific research. Matrices allow us to efficiently store and manipulate large amounts of data, making them a valuable tool in many industries.