Length contraction equation. what am i doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about the length contraction equation and determining the value of v. The conversation includes the correct equation and the steps to solve it, as well as a mistake made by the person asking for help. The expert provides the correct solution and the mistake made by the person is pointed out.
Sneil
Length contraction equation determining v. what am i doing wrong?

OK,

L=L*(1-v2/c2)1/2 (to the power of 1/2)

L=.75m L*=1.0m

now i need to find v and for the life of me i always end up with a value greater then c which is obviously impossible.

ill simplify to v=

L/L*=(1-v2/c2)1/2
(L/L*)squared = 1-v2/c2
1+(L/L*)squared = v2/c2
(1+(L/L*)squared )to the 1/2=v/c
c((1+(L/L*)squared )to the 1/2)=v

and thus i break the barrier of the speed of light and go back in time i guess...

any help?? asap please :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sneil said:
OK,

L=.75m L*=1.0m

now i need to find v and for the life of me i always end up with a value greater then c which is obviously impossible.

ill simplify to v=

L/L*=(1-v2/c2)1/2
(L/L*)squared = 1-v2/c2
1+(L/L*)squared = v2/c2

and thus i break the barrier of the speed of light and go back in time i guess...

Your mistake is on line 3. It should go:
[tex](\frac{L}{L*})^2=1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/tex]
[tex](\frac{L}{L*})^2-1=-\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}=1-(\frac{L}{L*})^2[/tex]

Sneil said:
OK,

L=.75m L*=1.0m

ill simplify to v=

L/L*=(1-v2/c2)1/2
(L/L*)squared = 1-v2/c2
1+(L/L*)squared = v2/c2

Let's see. L/L* is .75

(1 - v^2/c^2)^1/2 -.75
1 - v^2/c^2 = .5625
-v^2/c^2 = .5625 -1 = -.4375
v^2/c^2 = .4375
v/c = sqrt(.4375) = .661437828

So v is about 661/7 % of c.

Your error was in going from your second equation to your third. You got the signs wrong in simplifying. Check it out.

ah, great. bad mistake on my part. Thank you very much for the quick replies! :smile: :smile:

1. What is the length contraction equation?

The length contraction equation, also known as the Lorentz contraction formula, is a mathematical expression used in Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity to describe the effect of relative motion on the length of an object. It is given by L = L0/γ, where L is the contracted length, L0 is the rest length of the object, and γ is the Lorentz factor.

2. How does the length contraction equation work?

The length contraction equation takes into account the fact that as an object moves at high speeds relative to an observer, its length appears to decrease in the direction of motion. This is due to the time dilation effect, which causes time to slow down for the moving object. The Lorentz factor γ adjusts for this time dilation effect and results in a contraction of the length.

3. What is the significance of the length contraction equation?

The length contraction equation is significant because it helps to explain the observed phenomenon of length contraction at high speeds. It is also a fundamental component of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, which revolutionized our understanding of time, space, and the relationship between them.

4. What factors influence the length contraction equation?

The length contraction equation is influenced by the speed of the object relative to the observer and the rest length of the object. As the speed approaches the speed of light, the contraction becomes more significant. Additionally, the Lorentz factor is influenced by the velocity of the object and the speed of light.

5. What are common mistakes when using the length contraction equation?

Common mistakes when using the length contraction equation include not taking into account the direction of motion, using incorrect values for the velocity or rest length, and forgetting to convert units to the appropriate measurement system. It is also important to remember that the length contraction effect is only significant at speeds close to the speed of light and is not noticeable in everyday situations.