How Can I Simplify and Shift the Graph of Absolute Values?

In summary, Jeff was explaining how to graph a function and how to shift the graph over so that it looks normal. He said it would be helpful to know the absolute value of x and y and that there is a "relation" between x and y. He also said that y is not a function of x.
Jeff Ford
I'm supposed to sketch this graph

[tex] \vert x \vert + \vert y \vert = 1 + \vert xy \vert [/tex]

I think the purpose of the exercise is to simplify this into something that resembles a typical function and be able to shift the graph over so that it looks normal. I'm having troulbe getting the y's all on one side. A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Physics news on Phys.org
How about

[tex]\begin{gathered}
\left| x \right| + \left| y \right| = 1 + \left| {xy} \right| \hfill \\
\left| y \right| - \left| {xy} \right| = 1 - \left| x \right| \hfill \\
\left| y \right|\left( {1 - \left| x \right|} \right) = 1 - \left| x \right| \hfill \\
\left| y \right| = \frac{{1 - \left| x \right|}}
{{1 - \left| x \right|}} = 1 \Leftrightarrow y = 1 \vee y = - 1 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

Then the same thing for x.

The usual drill for absolute value:

If x and y are both positive (Ist quadrant), |x|= x, |y|= y, |xy|= xy so
x+ y= 1+ xy. Then y-xy= y(1-x)= 1- x or y= 1. That's easy to graph!

If x is negative and y positive (IInd quadrant), |x|= -x, |y|= y, |xy|= -xy so
-x+ y= 1-xy. Then y+xy=y(1+x)= 1+ x or y= 1. Interesting!

If both x and y are negative (IIIrd quadrant), |x|= -x, |y|= -y, |xy|= xy so
-x- y= 1+xy. Then y+xy= y(1+x)= -x-1 or y= -1. I think I see a pattern!

If x is positive and y is negative (IVth quadrant), |x|= x, |y|= -y, |xy|= -xy so
x- y= 1- xy. Then xy-y= y(x-1)= 1-x or y= -1. Yes, that's very easy to graph!

(y is not, however, a function of x. This is a "relation" between x and y.)

I feel the pain of not having done any math for 7 years! :cry:

Thanks for your help guys!

1. What is an absolute value?

An absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always positive, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How do you graph absolute values?

To graph absolute values, plot the points as you would with any other graph, but instead of connecting them with a straight line, draw a "V" shape at the point where the graph crosses the x-axis. The "V" should open upwards for positive numbers and downwards for negative numbers.

3. What is the difference between graphing absolute values and regular graphing?

The main difference between graphing absolute values and regular graphing is the shape of the graph. Absolute value graphs have a "V" shape, while regular graphs can have various shapes such as lines, curves, or parabolas. Absolute value graphs also have a specific method for determining the points to plot, as mentioned in the previous answer.

4. How do you solve absolute value equations using a graph?

To solve absolute value equations using a graph, you must first graph the equation and locate the points where the graph crosses the x-axis. These points will be the solutions to the equation. If there are no points where the graph crosses the x-axis, then the equation has no solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of graphing absolute values?

Graphing absolute values is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, it can be used to represent the distance between two objects, the magnitude of an electric current, or the value of a stock over time. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions based on trends in the graph.