New Planet "Xena" and it's moon is "Gabrielle"

• Thread starter handshakeit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planet
In summary: I was getting worried that they might have decided on a name and not tell us. :)That's a relief..lol. I was getting worried that they might have decided on a name and not tell us. :)
handshakeit
What is the name of the new planet found in the universe,and what is the name of its moon.

Thanks.

http://www.handshakeit.com

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The new name of this "planet" is called "Xena" and it's moon is "Gabrielle" personally i think they should've stuck with the catalog name for now until they can determine for sure it is a planet. We will know for sure after the mission to pluto is launched by Nasa in 2012, whether pluto is a planet or not.

vincentm said:
The new name of this "planet" is called "Xena" and it's moon is "Gabrielle" personally i think they should've stuck with the catalog name for now until they can determine for sure it is a planet. We will know for sure after the mission to pluto is launched by Nasa in 2012, whether pluto is a planet or not.
What do you mean? There's no official scientific criteria for a "planet", it's not a really a matter that will be settled by new evidence. I guess future research may allow scientists to tell for sure whether these bodies were formed the same way as all the other icy bodies in the Kuiper belt, although I think scientists are already pretty confident they did.

JesseM said:
What do you mean? There's no official scientific criteria for a "planet", it's not a really a matter that will be settled by new evidence. I guess future research may allow scientists to tell for sure whether these bodies were formed the same way as all the other icy bodies in the Kuiper belt, although I think scientists are already pretty confident they did.
Wel i think that scientists will be closer to be able to determine if pluto is a planet or a Kuiper belt oject or not or other bodies for that matter. ... but this has been debated for quite sometime now, so who knows how much longer we are from being able to do so.

Last edited:
vincentm said:
Wel i think that scientists will be closer to be able to determine if pluto is a planet or a Kuiper belt oject or not or other bodies for that matter.
But what I mean is, there's no official definition that says something can't be both a planet and a Kuiper belt object...

vincentm said:

Note that these are just nicknames for now offered by the discovering astronomer. The IAU has not chosen official names yet.

Did you see how they may have a lot of planets with defining characteristics?

I.e. historical planet, KB Planet, and Terrestial planet?

If this happens, the objects such as pluto won't be a planet as we think of it, but, it will still be a "Historical Planet" since there is no way it is being removed from the minds of everyone.

Note that these are just nicknames for now offered by the discovering astronomer. The IAU has not chosen official names yet.

Thats a relief..lol

What is the name of the new planet and its moon?

The new planet is named "Xena" and its moon is named "Gabrielle".

How was the discovery of this new planet and its moon made?

The discovery of "Xena" and "Gabrielle" was made by a team of astronomers using the Keck Observatory in Hawaii in 2005.

What are the characteristics of "Xena" and "Gabrielle"?

"Xena" is estimated to be about 30% larger than Pluto and is believed to have a rocky surface. "Gabrielle" is much smaller and is believed to have a highly elliptical orbit around "Xena".

What is the current status of "Xena" and "Gabrielle" in terms of planetary classification?

Currently, "Xena" and "Gabrielle" are considered to be dwarf planets, similar to Pluto. However, there is ongoing debate and research about their classification and whether they should be considered full-fledged planets.

What implications does the discovery of "Xena" and "Gabrielle" have for our understanding of the solar system?

The discovery of "Xena" and "Gabrielle" challenges our previous understanding of the outer solar system and raises questions about the definition of a planet. It also offers new opportunities for studying the formation and evolution of the solar system.