How to learn how to do math proofs?

• Thread starter r4nd0m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, if you want to improve your skills in mathematical proofs, you should read and analyze proofs from your textbook, try to prove statements yourself, and understand the different types of proofs. Some recommended resources include the Wikipedia page on mathematical proofs, the website Art of Problem Solving, and books like "What is Mathematics?" and "How to Solve It". Additionally, understanding the concept of mathematical induction can help with many proofs.
r4nd0m
This year I'm a freshman at university - physics - and we are just starting with mathematical analysis. I don't find it that difficult, but my problem are proofs. They are not hard, but I sometimes can't prove even the easiest things (I know why it is so, but can't put it down on the paper). Can you recommend me a good way to learn how to prove? Are there any good online books available?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The best way to learn to do proofs is to read proofs. Go over the ones in your book in detail, observing how they go from one step to the next.
Next, look at the statement of a proof in your book, put the book aside and try it yourself. If you get stuck, go back to your book, read the first couple of lines of the proof and see if they are anything like yours (there are, of course, many different ways to prove anything). Keep doing that- trying to prove things yourself and comparing them to what the book has- you will improve.

It will also help if you know the different types of proof. Although there are plenty, some are very often used. If you know the conceptual way of how those proofs work, it is easier to construct it yourself, to know what you are trying to get as a result.
For example, proving something by contradiction, by induction, ...

Check out this page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof" , it also contains links to different types of proofs with examples :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also some theory behind proofs. Or rather the methods of doing proofs for mathematicians as I have so read. Probably not an exhaustive list, but they are good starting points when you need to prove certain statements.

* Direct Proofs
* Proof by Contradiction and Reductio ad Absurdum
* The Contrapositive and Equivalent Forms
* Existence Proofs
* Uniqueness Proofs
* Mathematical Induction

Reference: http://www.math.csusb.edu/notes/proofs/pfnot/node4.html#SECTION00040000000000000000

You might also want to check http://www.artofproblemsolving.com" . There's a lot about proofs and related competitions.

Alex

"What is Mathematics?" by Courant and "How to Solve It" by Polya are both good books that contain a number a proofs.

One way to start is to realize that there are a lot of proofs by induction that all work the same way. So after you do one, you are on your way to understanding. For example:

[tex]\sum_{j=1}^{j=n}j={\frac{n(n+1)}{2} [/tex]

There are lots of similar sums, such as the sum of the squares from 1 to n, and the sum of the integers from 1 to n squared equal the sum of the cubes from 1 to n.

Last edited:

1. Can anyone learn how to do math proofs?

Yes, anyone with dedication and practice can learn how to do math proofs. It may seem intimidating at first, but with the right approach and mindset, anyone can master the skill.

2. What is the best way to learn how to do math proofs?

The best way to learn how to do math proofs is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. Start by understanding the definitions, axioms, and theorems in your specific field of mathematics. Then, practice solving simple proofs and gradually move on to more complex ones.

3. How much time does it take to learn how to do math proofs?

The time it takes to learn how to do math proofs varies from person to person. Some may grasp the concepts quickly and others may take longer. It also depends on the amount of practice and effort put into learning. With consistent practice and dedication, one can become proficient in math proofs in a matter of months.

4. What are some helpful resources for learning how to do math proofs?

There are numerous resources available for learning how to do math proofs. Some helpful resources include textbooks, online tutorials and courses, practice problems, and working with a study group or tutor. It is also beneficial to seek guidance from experienced mathematicians.

5. How can I overcome challenges while learning how to do math proofs?

Learning how to do math proofs can be challenging, but it is important to not get discouraged. It is normal to make mistakes and struggle with certain concepts. The key is to keep practicing, seek help when needed, and stay motivated. With persistence and determination, you can overcome any challenges and improve your skills in math proofs.