Trig Identity: Solving \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta

And for the first equation, you're on the right track with the cross-multiplication, but you also need to simplify the terms before combining them. In summary, the first equation is not an identity as it does not hold for all values of θ, and for the second equation, you can multiply above and below by (1 - sinθ) to simplify and prove the identity.
cscott
[tex]1 - \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta[/tex]

I can only get to [tex] \frac{2\sin^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta}[/tex] and I don't know if that's correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should check the problem again because it doesn't seem correct to me. Try [itex]\theta = 3\pi /2[/itex], the LHS will be 1 while the RHS is -1.

It's not an identity!

Let θ = -π/2

then lhs = 1 - cos²(-π/2)/(1 + sin²(-π/2))
lhs = 1 - 0/2
lhs = 1
=====

but rhs = sin(-π/2) = -sin(π/2) = -1
rhs = - 1
=======

Since lhs ≠ rhs, it can't be an identity.

OMG, I've spent so much time trying to figure it out... I never thought of checking to make sure it was indeed an identity. I guess my teacher made a mistake. Thanks guys.

(Don't worry, I'll be back with another too soon :tongue2:)

I did a quick check to see if it was an identity. After all , you were having trouble !
It checked out ok for θ = 0 and θ = pi/2, so I did some work on it.
It was only later on that I plugged the expressions into graphmatica and found out they were actually two different functions !

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...

For the 1st one, cross-multiply the two terms in the lhs and simplify.

For the 2nd one, multiply the lhs by (1 - sinθ) and simplify.

I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?

cscott said:
[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta} = 2 \sec \theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} = (\sec \theta - \tan \theta)^2[/tex]

I can't seem to get anywhere with these...
[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} + \frac{\cos \theta}{1 - \sin \theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta}+\frac{1+\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}\frac{\cos\theta}{1-\sin\theta}=\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{\cos \theta} +\frac{1+\sin\theta}{\cos\theta}=\frac{2}{\cos\theta}=2sec\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1 - \sin \theta}{1 + \sin \theta} =\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1-\sin\theta}\frac{1-\sin\theta}{1+\sin\theta}=\frac{(1-\sin\theta)^{2}}{\cos^{2}\theta}=(sec\theta-tan\theta)^{2}[/tex]

I see, thanks.

cscott said:
I can only get to [itex]2 \sin \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for the first after cross multiplying.

For the second, how can I just multiply by [itex](1 - \sin \theta)[/itex]? I thought you can only multiply by 1?
Ah, sorry, that should have been, multiply above and below by (1 - sinθ)

What is the trig identity used to solve the equation \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta?

The trig identity used to solve this equation is 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta.

How do you solve the equation \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta using the trig identity?

To solve this equation, we first rewrite it as \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \frac{\sin \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta}. Then, we can substitute 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta for 1 + \sin^2 \theta. This gives us \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{\sec^2 \theta} = \frac{\sin \theta}{\sec^2 \theta}. Simplifying this further, we get \cos^2 \theta = \sin \theta \cos^2 \theta. Finally, we can divide both sides by \cos^2 \theta to get the solution \sin \theta = 1.

Why is the trig identity 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta useful in solving the equation \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta?

This trig identity is useful because it allows us to rewrite the equation in a form that is easier to solve. By substituting 1 + \tan^2 \theta = \sec^2 \theta for 1 + \sin^2 \theta, we can simplify the equation and solve for the unknown variable.

Are there any restrictions on the values of \theta when solving the equation \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta using the trig identity?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of \theta. Since division by zero is undefined, the value of \theta cannot be such that 1 + \sin^2 \theta = 0. This means that \theta cannot equal \frac{\pi}{2} or \frac{3\pi}{2}, as these values would result in division by zero.

Can the equation \frac{\cos^2 \theta}{1 + \sin^2 \theta} = \sin \theta be solved without using the trig identity?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation without using the trig identity. However, the process may be more complicated and may require additional steps. Using the trig identity simplifies the equation and makes it easier to solve.