What other forces act on a rod-pivot system besides centripetal force?

• Thread starter SN1987a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pivot Rod
In summary, the centripetal force keeps the rod in a circular motion. However, there might be other forces applied on the pivot.
SN1987a
I have a little conceptual question about a rod-pivot system.

We have this rod (mass M, length l) pivoting about a fixed point. It is released at 30 degrees above the horizontal, and we're asked for the magnitude and direction force on the pivot when the rod reaches the horizontal.

So i figured one of the forces on the pivot would be the centripital force keeping the rod in a circular motion. This I can "easily" calculate, and it's always pointing in the -r direction (opposite to the rod).

But I can't figure out what and if there are other forces. In fact, I "believe" there are no others. But the question is asked in such a way as to hint there might be something else.

If you have any insights, please share tehm with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
further complications

It actually turns out even calculating the centripetal force is not as trivial as I had expected.

I'm trying to calculate the acceleration knowing that [itex] I \alpha=F r (center of mass) [/itex]. I know [itex] I = \frac {1}{2} m l^2 [/itex], [itex]r=\frac {l}{2}[/itex] and that [itex] F=-m g sin(\theta) [/itex], where the angle is the angle between the rod and the horizontal.

But this means that
[tex] \frac {d^2\theta}{dt^2}=\frac{-3 g sin (\theta)}{2l} [/tex]
and I don't know how to solve this ODE.

Usually, in class, the teacher approximates [itex] sin(\theta)=\theta[/itex], but in my case the angle is quite big for this.

What can I do about this?

Last edited:
I don't think you should set it up as a second order differential equation. What class is it?

differential equation

This is an intro to classical mechanics problem.

I agree that I shouldn't run into this sort of differential equation. However, this is what comes out of the motion equations once I set them up. If you see any mistake in the setup, let me know.

On the other hand, this wouldn't be the first time the teacher expects us to know the solution of a crazy diffrential equation, even though we've never seen them before.

I still haven't figured out what other forces are applied on the pivot. Can it be that some of the weight of the rod also acts on it?

Last edited:
If it's a classical mechanics class then you have learned about energy conservation. Use it! :)

tentative solution

ok, so from the conservation of energy i know that [itex]K(\theta)+U(\theta)=E_T[/itex].

Since
[tex] U(\theta)=\int_{0}^{L}\!\frac{M}{L}g l sin(\theta){dl}=\frac{1}{2}MgLsin(\theta) [/tex]

and
[tex] K(\theta)=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2=\frac{1}{6}ML^2\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2 [/tex]

and initially all energy was potential, therefore
[tex] E_T=U(30\degree)=\frac{1}{4}MgL [/tex]

I have that
[tex] \left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2=\frac{3g}{L}\left(\frac{1}{2}-sin(\theta)\right)[/tex]

Now, to come back to the total force exerted on my pivot, it should have two components: the gravitational component [itex] Mgsin(\theta) [/itex], which becomes 0 for [itex]\theta=0[/itex], and a force opposite to centripital force (which acts on the rod). This force should be
[tex] F(\theta)=-F_c=-Ma_r=-M\left(-r\left(\frac{d\theta}{dt}^2\right)\right) [/tex]
where the effective radius [itex]r=\frac{L}{2}[/itex]

Substituting for r and the derivative of theta found above, I get
[tex]F(\theta)=\frac{3Mg}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}-sin(\theta)\right)[/tex]
[tex]F(0)=\frac{3Mg}{4} [/tex]
Does this make any sense?

Last edited:
(most people refer to the "time derivitive of theta"
as the angular velocity, omega . I'm using "w" for it.)

in a simple pendulum at the bottom, T = Mg + Ma = Mg + Mrw^2 .

I think that your ½Iw^2 = ½MgL sin(30) + ½MgL ,
since the PE at bottom should equal -½MgL (pivot is h=0)

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean. The angle I'm considering is the angle with the horizontal. My starting point is 30 degrees above the horizontal and my endpoint is the horizontal. Therefore, I believe
[tex]\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2=U(0)-U(30)=\frac{1}{2}MgLsin(0)-\frac{1}{2}MgLsin(30)=0-\frac{1}{4}MgL[/tex]

which I realize now comes to the same as what I was doing before, it's just simpler.

Whoa, sorry ... I read that one wrong!:eek:
I was going from your 30 to your -90
I'd better go to bed ...:zzz:

Don't worry man. No problem. Actually forced me to review my calculations, which is never a bad thing to do :tongue2:

1. What is a rod about a fixed pivot?

A rod about a fixed pivot is a physical system in which a rigid rod is attached to a fixed point, or pivot, and is free to rotate around that point.

2. What is the purpose of a rod about a fixed pivot?

The purpose of a rod about a fixed pivot is to demonstrate rotational motion and the principles of torque and angular momentum.

3. How is the motion of a rod about a fixed pivot determined?

The motion of a rod about a fixed pivot is determined by the forces acting on the rod, such as the applied torque, the weight of the rod, and the normal force at the pivot point.

4. What factors affect the motion of a rod about a fixed pivot?

The factors that affect the motion of a rod about a fixed pivot include the length and mass of the rod, the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass, and the magnitude and direction of the applied torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rod about a fixed pivot?

A rod about a fixed pivot can be used in various mechanical systems, such as levers, faucets, and seesaws. It is also commonly used in physics demonstrations and experiments to study rotational motion and its principles.