Voltage In An Electric Circuit

In summary, voltage is the force that moves charge through an electric circuit and overcomes resistance. It is not used up and remains present even after passing through a resistor. In a parallel circuit, each branch will have the same voltage. In regards to the specific questions, if a cell moves charge through a circuit without any relevant resistance, the voltage from the cell will still be present. In a series circuit, the voltage drop across each component will depend on the resistance of that component.
Erwin Schrodinger
I need help with the idea of voltage as it relates to electric circuits. My book doesn't explain the concept well enough. All it says is that voltage is the force that moves charge through a circuit and overcomes resistance. Then it just states Ohm's Law, V=IR.

Here are the things I don't understand. If someone could give a brief explanation, that would be great.

1) If a cell moves charge through a circuit without any relevant resistance, is voltage from the cell still present but not doing anything, or is it not present at all?

2) Is voltage "used up"? If 6V cell moves charge through a resistor that requires 1V, then afterwards would there only be 5V left?

3) If a 5V cell is connected in series to a parallel circuit, would each "branch" of the parallel circuit have 5V?

I can draw some pictures to show you what I mean if my questions don't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Erwin Schrodinger said:
I need help with the idea of voltage as it relates to electric circuits. My book doesn't explain the concept well enough. All it says is that voltage is the force that moves charge through a circuit and overcomes resistance. Then it just states Ohm's Law, V=IR.
Here are the things I don't understand. If someone could give a brief explanation, that would be great.
1) If a cell moves charge through a circuit without any relevant resistance, is voltage from the cell still present but not doing anything, or is it not present at all?
If the circiut is open, or has infinite resistance, then no current flows. The cell potential is present. If the resistance is zero, as in "no relevant resistance" then the maximum current the cell is capable of will flow. In a real cell the output voltage will drop.
2) Is voltage "used up"? If 6V cell moves charge through a resistor that requires 1V, then afterwards would there only be 5V left?
No voltage is not used up. In a real cell, with carefull measurements you can measure full cell voltage even if the cell is considered dead.
3) If a 5V cell is connected in series to a parallel circuit, would each "branch" of the parallel circuit have 5V?
I can draw some pictures to show you what I mean if my questions don't make sense.
Yes, the voltage drop across parallel branches is equal.

Hmm I still need help with 1 and 2. I made some pictures to show you what I mean.

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8420/volt13pc.jpg
1. If you measured the voltage at point D, would it be 6V?

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2395/volt6yn.jpg
2. If you measured the voltage at point A, it would it be 6V? Point B would be 2V? Point C would be 0V?

Last edited by a moderator:
Erwin Schrodinger said:
Hmm I still need help with 1 and 2. I made some pictures to show you what I mean.
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/8420/volt13pc.jpg
1. If you measured the voltage at point D, would it be 6V?
http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/2395/volt6yn.jpg
2. If you measured the voltage at point A, it would it be 6V? Point B would be 2V? Point C would be 0V?
For 1, the voltage would not be six volts. Refer to the basic definition of voltage for hints as to why.
For 2, what are the values for R1 and R2.
[tex]V_1 = R_1 * I[/tex]
[tex]V_2 = R_2 * I[/tex]
Remember that current though a series circuit is always the same because there is only one path for it to flow.
By the way, when you say voltage at point B. That can be ambiguous. Voltage is measured across two points. For example on your circuit the voltage across [tex]R_1[/tex] could be stated as [tex]V_{ab}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is voltage in an electric circuit?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is the measure of the amount of energy required to move an electric charge between two points in an electric circuit.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured in units called volts (V) using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit and measures the potential difference between two points.

3. What is the role of voltage in an electric circuit?

Voltage is responsible for creating a flow of electric current in a circuit. It acts as a driving force that pushes electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal of a power source, such as a battery or generator.

4. How does voltage affect the components in an electric circuit?

The voltage level in a circuit determines the amount of current flowing through the components. Higher voltage can cause components to overheat and fail, while lower voltage can result in inadequate performance.

5. Can the voltage in an electric circuit be changed?

Yes, the voltage in an electric circuit can be changed by using devices such as transformers or resistors. These devices can either increase or decrease the voltage level to suit the needs of the circuit.