Equivalence of Completeness Properties

In summary: The Nested Interval Theorem guarantees that (In) has a point in common, call it x. And |x_n-x|<rn for all n. Therefore x_n→x. [Note: I have implicitly used the fact that |x_n-x_m|→0 as minf(m,n)→∞, which is one of the equivalent formulations of the Cauchy criterion.]In summary, the completeness properties of real numbers include the least upper bound property, the Nested Intervals Theorem, the Monotone Convergence Theorem, the Bolzano Weierstrass theorem, and the convergence of every Cauchy sequence. The Nested Interval Theorem states that if a sequence of nested intervals has
The completeness properties are 1)The least upper bound property, 2)The Nested Intervals Theorem, 3)The Monotone Convergence Theorem, 4)The Bolzano Weierstrass, 5) The convergence of every Cauchy sequence.

I can show 1→2 and 1→3→4→5→1 All I need to prove is 2→3

I therefore need the proof of the Monotone Convergence Theorem using Nested intervals Theorem

The theorems: Nested Interval Theorem(NIT): If [tex]I_{n}=\left [ a_{n},b_{n} \right ][/tex] and[tex]I_{1}\supseteq I_{2}\supseteq I_{3}\supseteq...[/tex] then [tex]\bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n}\neq \varnothing[/tex] In addition if [tex]b_{n}-a_{n}\rightarrow 0[/tex] as [tex]n \to \infty[/tex] then [tex]\bigcap_{n=1}^{\infty}I_{n}[/tex] consists of a single point.

Monotone Convergence Theorem(MCN): If [tex]a_{n}[/tex] is a monotone and bounded sequence of real numbers then [tex]a_{n}[/tex] converges.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an approach you could try. Let an be a bounded increasing sequence, which means that the sequence has an upper bound b. Then ([an,b]) is a nested sequence of ntervals. Can you take it from here, using properties 1 and 2 to prove 3? And then you can do the analogous thing for bounded decreasing sequences.

lugita15 said:
Here's an approach you could try. Let an be a bounded increasing sequence, which means that the sequence has an upper bound b. Then ([an,b]) is a nested sequence of ntervals. Can you take it from here, using properties 1 and 2 to prove 3? And then you can do the analogous thing for bounded decreasing sequences.

If by property 1 you mean the least upper bound property the point here is not to use it!
I want a proof 2-3 without using 1,3,4,5

3.1415926535 said:
If by property 1 you mean the least upper bound property the point here is not to use it!
I want a proof 2-3 without using 1,3,4,5
Yes, sorry. I think you may still be able use my suggestion to prove 2 implies 3 without using 1,4, or 5.

On a separate note, you can try proving 2 implies 5 instead (because you've already proven that 1,3,4, and 5 are equivalent, so the fact that 1 implies 2 and 2 implies 5 means that 2 is equivalent to the rest). One simple strategy is to try constructing a nested sequence of intervals whose lengths go to zero using the elements of a Cauchy sequence.

Last edited:
lugita15 said:
Yes, sorry. I think you may still be able use my suggestion to prove 2 implies 3 without using 1,4, or 5.

On a separate note, you can try proving 2 implies 5 instead (because you've already proven that 1,3,4, and 5 are equivalent, so the fact that 1 implies 2 and 2 implies 5 means that 2 is equivalent to the rest). One simple strategy is to try constructing a nested sequence of intervals whose lengths go to zero using the elements of a Cauchy sequence.

Even though I would like a more direct approach 2-5 will suffice.
Suppose that I want to prove that a Cauchy sequence x_n converges
How can I create a sequence of nested intervals whose lengths go to 0 when x_n is not necessarily monotonous?

3.1415926535 said:
Even though I would like a more direct approach 2-5 will suffice.
Suppose that I want to prove that a Cauchy sequence x_n converges
How can I create a sequence of nested intervals whose lengths go to 0 when x_n is not necessarily monotonous?
It's really quite simple. For convenience, I'll refer to half the length of an interval as it's "radius". Since (x_n) is Cauchy, there exists an x_n1 such that all subsequent elements of the sequence are within an interval I1 of radius r1=1/2 centered at x_n1. And there exists an n2>n1 such that all subsequent elements of the sequence are within an interval I2 centered at x_n2, which is within I1 and has radius r2<1/4. And there exists an n3>n2 such that all subsequent elements are within an interval I3 centered at x_n3, which is within I2 and has radius r3<1/8. I think you get the picture: we have a nested sequence (In) of intervals, with radii rn→0 as n→∞.

What is the difference between completeness and Dedekind completeness?

Completeness refers to the property of a set of axioms being able to prove all true statements within a given system. Dedekind completeness, on the other hand, refers to the property of a set being able to fill in all of the "gaps" between its elements, essentially being dense.

Can a system be complete but not Dedekind complete?

Yes, it is possible for a system to be complete in terms of proving all true statements, but not be Dedekind complete in terms of being dense. For example, the set of rational numbers is complete, but not Dedekind complete, as there are "gaps" between rational numbers that cannot be filled in with other rational numbers.

What is the relationship between Dedekind completeness and the least upper bound property?

Dedekind completeness and the least upper bound property are closely related. The least upper bound property states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound. This is essentially the same as saying that the set is Dedekind complete, as it is able to fill in all of the "gaps" between its elements.

Are there any other completeness properties besides Dedekind completeness and the least upper bound property?

Yes, there are other completeness properties such as Cauchy completeness, which states that every Cauchy sequence in a set must converge to a limit within that set. There is also sequential completeness, which states that every monotone sequence in a set must converge to a limit within that set.

Why are completeness properties important in mathematics?

Completeness properties are important in mathematics because they allow us to make sure that our systems of axioms and sets are well-defined and able to prove all true statements. They also help us understand the properties of real numbers and their relationships with other sets, making them crucial in many areas of mathematics such as analysis and topology.