Has anyone here read Gravity's Rainbow?

• Thread starter mkarger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rainbow
In summary, Pynchon's writing is difficult and requires a lot of effort to understand. His themes include paranoia and the effects of mental illness. However, none of what he writes is meaningless. Also, his vocabulary and historical knowledge are impressive. However, Joyce is a much better writer.
mkarger
Read it first over the summer last year. Doing it again with a 400 page companion reader to point out all of the allusions.

The amount of information contained in this book is mind boggling. I could probably read it 10 times and only retain a fraction of what Pynchon recorded.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also thinking about getting a GR tattoo. Trying to figure out what I want.

mkarger said:
Read it first over the summer last year. Doing it again with a 400 page companion reader to point out all of the allusions.

The amount of information contained in this book is mind boggling. I could probably read it 10 times and only retain a fraction of what Pynchon recorded.

I gave up about half way through because it seemed to me like the literary version of shredding. Some guy with a great deal of technique and nothing to say. If you like that sort of game, fine. I thought the same of the more recent "Infinite Jest," so maybe you would like that too.

ImaLooser said:
I gave up about half way through because it seemed to me like the literary version of shredding. Some guy with a great deal of technique and nothing to say.

Hey now! Pynchon and DFW have a lot to say. It just takes more effort to get the meaning out of their works, not because their writing is particularly difficult or anything, but because of the complexity and intricacies of the ideas. I get that their writing is not for everyone, and to each his own in that regard, but that they have nothing to say is way too extreme.

Pynchon intentionally uses stream of consciousness in various parts of his writing. It is utilized quite often in GR. He also has an immense vocabulary and an almost encyclopedic understanding of historical events. When you put all of that together, you get some extremely difficult literature. I find the companion reader highly informative. Reading it a second time has also allowed me to overcome questions about basic plot sequences.

But none of what he writes is in anyway "meaningless."

Last edited:
Also, one of the main themes in GR is paranoia;a symptom of mental illnesses like schizophrenia. A lot of the stream writing is suppose to induce the sense that you are going crazy. So he uses "pressured speech" and word salad techniques to get you there.

One last thing, if you think Pynchon is long winded and convoluted, don't ever read anything by James Joyce. Good lord. That man might actually have been crazy.

mkarger said:
One last thing, if you think Pynchon is long winded and convoluted, don't ever read anything by James Joyce. Good lord. That man might actually have been crazy.

Yeah, I tried that too and couldn't do it. Except for Dubliners, which I think is great.

What is Gravity's Rainbow about?

Gravity's Rainbow is a complex and multi-layered novel by Thomas Pynchon, published in 1973. It follows the story of various characters during World War II, focusing on themes of paranoia, technology, and the impact of war on individuals and society.

Why is Gravity's Rainbow considered a difficult book to read?

Gravity's Rainbow is known for its complex plot, non-linear narrative structure, and use of stream-of-consciousness. It is also filled with historical references, scientific concepts, and literary allusions, making it a challenging read for many people.

Is Gravity's Rainbow worth reading?

That is a matter of personal opinion. Some readers find it to be a masterpiece of postmodern literature, while others may struggle with its dense and confusing style. It is a highly acclaimed book, but it may not be for everyone.

What are some common interpretations of Gravity's Rainbow?

There are numerous interpretations of Gravity's Rainbow, as it is a highly symbolic and open-ended novel. Some readers see it as a commentary on the destructive nature of war, while others view it as a critique of modern society and technology. Some even argue that it is a meditation on the human condition and the struggle to find meaning in a chaotic world.

Are there any recommended reading materials to help understand Gravity's Rainbow?

There are many resources available for readers who want to delve deeper into Gravity's Rainbow. Some suggestions include secondary literature such as critical essays and analyses, as well as online forums and discussion groups where readers can share their interpretations and insights. Additionally, familiarizing oneself with historical and cultural references mentioned in the novel can also enhance understanding and appreciation of the book.