Register to reply

Meaning of soulution of Central Equation: Nearly free electron model

by mhsd91
Tags: central equation
Share this thread:
mhsd91
May23-13, 04:35 AM
P: 12
Considering the Nearly Free Electron model of solids, where we assume the valence electrons of some one dimensional(!) solid to move in a weak, periodic (with respect to the solids lattice constant) potensial.

We may derive (which I assume you are familiare with, and will not do here) the central equation as an algebraic reformulation of the time independent Schrödinger eq. corresponding to the model/potential at hand,

[itex]
(\lambda_k - \epsilon)C_k + \Sigma_G U_G C_{k-G} = 0
[/itex]

where [itex] \lambda_k = (\hbar^2 k^2) / (2m_e) [/itex], [itex] G [/itex] is the set of possible reciprocal lattice vectors and [itex] C_k [/itex] is det fourier coefficients corresponding to the solution of the Schrödinger eq.:

[itex]
\psi_k = \Sigma_k C_k e^{ikx}
[/itex].

My problem is that I do not understand what exactly we do find if we solve the central equation.

Say for instance I solve it and find the energy [itex] \epsilon_\pm = \lambda_k \pm U_0 [/itex] for some [itex]k[/itex]. Then I am told the energy gap, [itex] \epsilon_{gap} = \epsilon_+ - \epsilon_- [/itex], between two energy bands for this [itex]k[/itex] at hand. Please (dis)confirm!?

... and then WHICH two bands are this gap between? (If that makes sense). And is it possible to find values for [itex] C_k [/itex], how? .. Assuming we know the periodicity of the potential and [itex] k [/itex].
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
moj20062001
Jun25-13, 09:37 AM
P: 12
Quote Quote by mhsd91 View Post
Considering the Nearly Free Electron model of solids, where we assume the valence electrons of some one dimensional(!) solid to move in a weak, periodic (with respect to the solids lattice constant) potensial.

We may derive (which I assume you are familiare with, and will not do here) the central equation as an algebraic reformulation of the time independent Schrödinger eq. corresponding to the model/potential at hand,

[itex]
(\lambda_k - \epsilon)C_k + \Sigma_G U_G C_{k-G} = 0
[/itex]

where [itex] \lambda_k = (\hbar^2 k^2) / (2m_e) [/itex], [itex] G [/itex] is the set of possible reciprocal lattice vectors and [itex] C_k [/itex] is det fourier coefficients corresponding to the solution of the Schrödinger eq.:

[itex]
\psi_k = \Sigma_k C_k e^{ikx}
[/itex].

My problem is that I do not understand what exactly we do find if we solve the central equation.

Say for instance I solve it and find the energy [itex] \epsilon_\pm = \lambda_k \pm U_0 [/itex] for some [itex]k[/itex]. Then I am told the energy gap, [itex] \epsilon_{gap} = \epsilon_+ - \epsilon_- [/itex], between two energy bands for this [itex]k[/itex] at hand. Please (dis)confirm!?

... and then WHICH two bands are this gap between? (If that makes sense). And is it possible to find values for [itex] C_k [/itex], how? .. Assuming we know the periodicity of the potential and [itex] k [/itex].
yes we can;
in this case C is equal to: +_sgn(U)C
u can find the exact equation in,Solid State Physics By Ashcroft&Mermin.chapter9,equation (9.29)-

Register to reply