Something that bugs me about concentration

In summary, the concentration of acetic acid in a solution does not change based on the volume, as long as the solution is well mixed. Therefore, removing 100 mL from a 500 mL bottle with 5% acetic acid will still leave 5% acetic acid in the remaining 400 mL. This concept can be compared to the percentage of females in a country being the same regardless of the population of a specific city within that country.
Hitman123
This may sound ridiculous to the elite here, but if I had a bottle with 500mL of vinegar where 5% was acetic acid. If I removed 100 mL will there still be 5% acetic acid there then?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Hitman123, welcome to PF!

Concentrations are relative quantities, so they do not change regardless of the volume (provided that the solution is uniform, or "well mixed"). So that 100 ml you remove will be 5% acetic acid, and the 400 ml left will be 5% acetic acid.

Think about it this way: if I tell you that 50% of a country's population is female, and ask you what percentage of the population of a given city in that country is female, what would you answer?

1. What is concentration and why is it important in scientific research?

Concentration refers to the amount of a substance in a given volume or space. In scientific research, it is important because it affects the accuracy and reproducibility of experimental results. A precise concentration is necessary for the proper functioning of chemical reactions and for the identification and quantification of substances.

2. How can I calculate the concentration of a solution?

The concentration of a solution can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute (the substance being dissolved) by the total volume of the solution. This can be expressed as a percentage, parts per million (ppm), or molarity (moles per liter).

3. What factors can affect concentration measurements?

Some factors that can affect concentration measurements include human error, equipment calibration, sample contamination, and variations in temperature, pressure, or humidity. It is important to carefully control and monitor these factors to ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. How do I ensure the accuracy of my concentration measurements?

To ensure the accuracy of concentration measurements, it is important to use precise and calibrated instruments, carefully follow experimental protocols, and perform multiple measurements. It is also helpful to compare results with known standards or to replicate the experiment in a different setting.

5. Can concentration be changed during an experiment and how does this affect the results?

Yes, concentration can change during an experiment due to factors such as evaporation, reaction rates, or dilution. These changes can significantly affect the results and may need to be accounted for or controlled for in the experimental design. It is important to carefully monitor and record concentration changes during an experiment to accurately interpret the results.