Breit-Wigner Distribution: What is it & How is it Used?

In summary, the Breit-Wigner distribution function is used in resonance scans to determine the number of events for a specific channel. It appears as a factor in the expression for the scattering cross section when scattering occurs via an intermediate particle. The distribution provides an enhancement in the cross section when the energy of the intermediate particle is close to its mass, as long as the width of the particle is not too large. The paper provided is about the exotic hadron X(3872), which is a perfect example of resonance. A suggested reference book for studying the Breit-Wigner distribution and resonances in general is De Wit's "Field theory in particle physics", specifically the chapter on decay rates and cross sections.
nakulphy
what is breit wigner distribution function ?
it is used in resonance scan means it decides the no of events for any specific channel. i am also giving the link of the paper where i found this
http://pos.sissa.it/archive/conferences/160/018/Bormio2012_018.pdf

please help me out

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Breit-Wigner distribution is a particular factor appearing in the expression for the scattering cross section when this scattering happens via an intermediate particle. Consider for example the scattering [itex]a+b\to A\to X+Y[/itex]. The expression for the cross section is given by:
$$
\frac{d\sigma(a+b\to X+Y)}{d\vec pd s_X}=\frac{d\Gamma(A\to X)}{\Gamma(A\to all)}\frac{d\sigma(a+b\to A+Y)}{d\vec pd s_A} W(s_A)\sqrt{\frac{\vec p^2+m_A^2}{\vec p^2+s_A}},
$$
where the Breit-Wigner distribution is given by:
$$
W(s_A)=\frac{1}{\pi}\frac{m_A\Gamma}{(s_A-m_A^2)^2+m_A^2\Gamma^2}.
$$
As you can see, such a distribution gives an enhancement of the cross section (i.e. of the number of particles produced) when [itex]s_A\simeq m_A^2[/itex], provided that the width [itex]\Gamma[/itex] of the intermediate particle is not too large.

Last edited:
thank you very much
i will try to understand this and also try to correlate with the paper and will come back to you soon.

thank you

The paper itself is about the exotic hadron X(3872). It is a perfect example of resonance. Namely it doesn't appear as a final state of the reaction but as an intermediate particle. It is, for example, produced ad LHC via the reaction: p+p -> X(3872) -> D0 + antiD0*. As you can see this is exactly as the reaction I showed you before.

thank you very much.

can you please suggest me the reference book to study this ? actually I understood the things but still I want to understand in more detail.

thank you

Nakul Soni

Last edited:
Do you mean the X(3872) or resonances in general?

for the basic of Breit-Wigner and the distribution function.

One of the best books is De Wit - Field theory in particle physics. In particular the chapter on decay rates

1. What is the Breit-Wigner distribution?

The Breit-Wigner distribution, also known as the Cauchy-Lorentz distribution, is a probability distribution used to describe the shape of resonance peaks in scattering experiments. It is named after physicists Gregory Breit and Eugene Wigner.

2. How is the Breit-Wigner distribution used in physics?

The Breit-Wigner distribution is commonly used in particle physics and nuclear physics to model unstable particles or resonances. It can also be used to analyze data from other scientific fields, such as astronomy and spectroscopy.

3. What are the key features of the Breit-Wigner distribution?

The Breit-Wigner distribution is characterized by its peak shape, which is symmetric and bell-shaped. It also has a long tail that extends to infinity in both directions, making it an example of a heavy-tailed distribution. The distribution is also defined by two parameters: the center or peak energy of the resonance, and the width or spread of the distribution.

4. How does the Breit-Wigner distribution differ from the Gaussian distribution?

The Breit-Wigner distribution differs from the Gaussian distribution in several ways. The Gaussian distribution is symmetric and has a finite width, whereas the Breit-Wigner distribution is asymmetric and has an infinite width. Additionally, the Gaussian distribution is defined by two parameters: the mean and the standard deviation, while the Breit-Wigner distribution has a third parameter, known as the coupling constant, which affects the shape of the distribution.

5. Can the Breit-Wigner distribution be used for all types of data?

No, the Breit-Wigner distribution is specifically designed to model resonance peaks in scattering experiments. It may not be suitable for other types of data and is best used when analyzing data that exhibits resonance behavior. Other distributions, such as the Gaussian or Poisson distribution, may be more appropriate for different types of data.