HPLC regarding the pore size vs the molecule size

• Thread starter kl055
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the pore size of an HPLC column determines the size of molecules that can pass through and affects the resolution of the separation. Factors such as molecule size, desired resolution, and stationary phase properties influence the selection of pore size. To determine the appropriate pore size, consider the molecules being separated and consult the manufacturer's recommendations. The pore size of an HPLC column cannot be changed, but different columns with varying pore sizes can be used for different analyses.
kl055
Hi

I have a simple question about HPLC regarding the pore size vs the molecule size of the analyte.

Are there cases when it is desirable to have a pore size smaller than the analyte molecule size?

In this case, the analyte will be eluted first, then the solvent will be eluted later?

Do I misunderstand how HPLC works?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the relationship between pore size and molecule size in HPLC?

The pore size of the HPLC column refers to the diameter of the pores within the stationary phase. This diameter determines the size of molecules that can pass through the column. Smaller pore sizes are used for separating smaller molecules, while larger pore sizes are used for larger molecules.

2. How does pore size affect the resolution in HPLC?

Pore size is a critical factor in determining the resolution of molecules in HPLC. Smaller pore sizes provide higher resolution for smaller molecules, while larger pore sizes may result in lower resolution for larger molecules.

3. What are the factors that influence the selection of pore size in HPLC?

The selection of pore size in HPLC depends on the size of the molecules being separated, the desired resolution, and the properties of the stationary phase. Other factors such as sample volume and flow rate may also influence the selection of pore size.

4. How do I determine the appropriate pore size for my HPLC analysis?

The best way to determine the appropriate pore size for your HPLC analysis is to consider the size of the molecules you are separating and the desired resolution. It may also be helpful to consult the manufacturer's recommendations for the specific type of column being used.

5. Can I change the pore size in an HPLC column?

No, the pore size of an HPLC column is a fixed characteristic of the stationary phase and cannot be changed. However, different columns with varying pore sizes can be used for different analyses.