Register to reply

Strain in cantilever beam

by nomority
Tags: beam, cantilever, strain
Share this thread:
nomority
Aug11-14, 09:44 AM
P: 4
Hi everyone. I feel there should be a simple answer to this but I can't seem to find anything on this.

So I have a simple cantilever beam, supported at one side and loaded at the free end. I have the force displacement data and can easily calculate the stress.

However, for the strain I do not want to use Hookes Law, but instead calculate the strain from the force displacement data. Any hints?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
Chestermiller
Aug11-14, 10:27 AM
Mentor
P: 5,394
Quote Quote by nomority View Post
Hi everyone. I feel there should be a simple answer to this but I can't seem to find anything on this.

So I have a simple cantilever beam, supported at one side and loaded at the free end. I have the force displacement data and can easily calculate the stress.

However, for the strain I do not want to use Hookes Law, but instead calculate the strain from the force displacement data. Any hints?

Thanks!
The strain varies through the cross section of the beam. It is equal to the distance from the neutral axis times the curvature. So if you know the curvature at any location, you know the strain variation through the thickness. The strain is positive on the outside of the bend, and negative on the inside of the bend. Of course, it also varies with distance along the beam.

Chet
nomority
Aug11-14, 10:57 AM
Apologies, I should have stated I am looking for the maximum strain.

I have got the full force-displacement data of a bend experiment. I know the geometry of the beam (triangular cross section) so can calculate the maximum stress at any time as (M*y)/I, which for the triangular cross-section is equal to (24*Force*Length)/(width*thickness^2).

In a code I have access to it states that the maximum strain at any time would be equal to (2*displacement*thickness)/(Length^2), but I can't figure out why this would be the case.

Chestermiller
Aug11-14, 11:29 AM
Mentor
Strain in cantilever beam

Apologies, I should have stated I am looking for the maximum strain.

I have got the full force-displacement data of a bend experiment. I know the geometry of the beam (triangular cross section) so can calculate the maximum stress at any time as (M*y)/I, which for the triangular cross-section is equal to (24*Force*Length)/(width*thickness^2).

In a code I have access to it states that the maximum strain at any time would be equal to (2*displacement*thickness)/(Length^2), but I can't figure out why this would be the case.
Where does the maximum curvature occur, and, in terms of the displacement , what is that curvature?

Chet
nomority
Aug11-14, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your reply. Maximum curvature is at the fixed end. However, I can't measure the curvature to any degree of accuracy, as such for the sake of this problem it is not available.
Chestermiller
Aug11-14, 11:52 AM
Mentor
What I meant was, analytically , what is the curvature in terms of the displacement ?
nomority
Aug11-14, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure how I could describe the curvature in terms of the parameters I have.

If I was to reverse engineer the equation for strain I have

(2*displacement*thickness)/(Length^2)
, and assume that strain is equal to y/R (as found online), I would have an expression for the curvature of L^2/(6*displacement). This doesn't seem correct to me though.
AlephZero
Aug11-14, 02:36 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,288
If you know the maximum stress, you can get the maximum strain using Young's modulus and Hooke's law.

The stresses and strains in the beam are statically determinate. They only depend on the applied loads, not on the displacement of the beam.
Chestermiller
Aug11-14, 03:16 PM
Mentor
I'm not sure how I could describe the curvature in terms of the parameters I have.

If I was to reverse engineer the equation for strain I have

, and assume that strain is equal to y/R (as found online), I would have an expression for the curvature of L^2/(6*displacement). This doesn't seem correct to me though.
Step 1: Express the bending moment M at the built-in end in terms of the load F.
Step 2: What is your equation for the displacement in terms of the load F.
Step 3: Combine these relationships to get the bending moment in terms of the displacement.
Step 4: Determine the curvature from the bending moment
Step 5: Determine the curvature as a function of the displacement
Step 6: Determine the strain from the curvature

chet

Register to reply