Comparing Polynomials: Determining the Larger Sum of Exponentiated Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses comparing two sums, \sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{1/3}\sum_{i=1}^n a_i and n\sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{4/3}, to determine which one is larger. It is mentioned that the sums are of the same order and there is no general answer. However, it is suggested to try proving by induction and it is noted that the comparison depends on the sequence of a_i.
phonic
Dear all,

Does anyone know how to determine which of the following sum is larger? Thanks a lot!
[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{1/3}\sum_{i=1}^n a_i
[/tex]

[tex]
n\sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{4/3}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_i>0 \forall i
[/tex]

This is two polynomial of the same order. It is not clear to determine which one is larger, if I take the derivatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
phonic said:
Dear all,

Does anyone know how to determine which of the following sum is larger? Thanks a lot!
[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{1/3}\sum_{i=1}^n a_i
[/tex]

[tex]
n\sum_{i=1}^n a_i^{4/3}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_i>0 \forall i
[/tex]

This is two polynomial of the same order. It is not clear to determine which one is larger, if I take the derivatives.

Try proving by induction.

There is no general answer. It is easy to compare the two sums if all a's are the same. If =1, the sums are the same. If a>1, the first sum is larger. If a<1, the second sum is larger.

mathman said:
There is no general answer. It is easy to compare the two sums if all a's are the same. If =1, the sums are the same. If a>1, the first sum is larger. If a<1, the second sum is larger.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Basically it depends on the sequence of [itex]a_i[/itex]. Like whether or not it has certain boundaries like you mentionned.

What is the purpose of comparing polynomials?

The purpose of comparing polynomials is to determine which polynomial has a larger sum of exponentiated coefficients. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as analyzing data trends or finding the maximum value of a function.

How do I compare two polynomials?

To compare two polynomials, you first need to arrange them in standard form with the terms in descending order of their exponents. Then, you can simply add the coefficients of each term and compare the resulting sums. The polynomial with the larger sum of coefficients is considered to be the larger polynomial.

What is an exponentiated coefficient?

An exponentiated coefficient is a coefficient that has been raised to a certain power or exponent. For example, in the polynomial 2x^3 + 4x^2 + 3x + 1, the exponentiated coefficients are 2^3, 4^2, and 3^1. These exponentiated coefficients are used to determine the overall value of a polynomial.

Can I compare polynomials with different degrees?

Yes, you can compare polynomials with different degrees by arranging them in standard form and comparing the sums of their exponentiated coefficients. However, it is important to note that polynomials with higher degrees will have larger sums of exponentiated coefficients, so the degree of the polynomial should also be taken into consideration when comparing them.

Is comparing polynomials a reliable method for determining the larger polynomial?

Comparing polynomials is a reliable method for determining the larger polynomial when the polynomials have the same degree. However, when comparing polynomials with different degrees, it is important to also consider the degree of the polynomial in addition to the sums of their exponentiated coefficients. In some cases, other methods such as finding the maximum value of a function may be more accurate for determining the larger polynomial.