Comparing Egg Types: Can We Predict a Chicken's Egg?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, there are two types of eggs - the ones we eat and the ones that hatch baby chickens. The main difference is that the eggs that hatch a baby chicken have been fertilized, while the ones we eat have not. It is not possible to predict if an egg will hatch a chick before it is laid, unless the hen has been in isolation from male chickens. Fertilized eggs are considered to be more delicious by some people, although it may sound disgusting. The development of a chick in a fertilized egg starts soon after fertilization and continues as long as the egg is kept warm. After the egg is laid, the development stops until it is incubated at the proper temperature. It takes about 24 hours for a chicken
pivoxa15
What are the difference between the eggs we eat and the eggs that hatch a baby chicken?

Is it possible to predict it just before a chicken lays one?

Biology news on Phys.org
The eggs that hatch a baby chicken has been fertilized, but the once we eat has not been. No it is not possible to perdict before the egg is laid if the hen has not been in isolation.

So the eggs we eat come from hens that have been isolated from male chickens?

pivoxa15 said:
So the eggs we eat come from hens that have been isolated from male chickens?

That is correct.

Some people actually prefer to eat fertilized eggs. :frown: I've eaten eggs from farms where the chickens were not separated from the roosters. One old farmer used to hold them up to a light to see if they had been fertilized. Which poses the question, how far along is the chick at the time it's laid?

how far along is the chick at the time it's laid?
(suppresses jr. high school giggle factor)

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm
Cell division begins soon after fertilization, even while the rest of the egg is being formed. Cell division will continue if the egg is kept warmer than 67oF. The first cell division is completed about the time the egg enters the isthmus. Additional cell divisions take place about every 20 minutes; so, by the time of lay, several thousand cells form two layers of cells called a "gastrula."

At this time the egg is laid, it cools, and embryonic development usually stops until proper environmental conditions are established for incubation. After incubation begins, the cellular growth resumes. At first, all the cells are alike, but as the embryo develops, cell differences are observed. Some cells may become vital organs; others become a wing or leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Some people actually prefer to eat fertilized eggs. :frown: I've eaten eggs from farms where the chickens were not separated from the roosters. One old farmer used to hold them up to a light to see if they had been fertilized. Which poses the question, how far along is the chick at the time it's laid?

I can imagine how fertilized eggs might be more delicious although it might sound disgusiting. It would be like eating tender chicken meat wrapped inside egg shells.

Phobos said:
(suppresses jr. high school giggle factor)

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm
Hey, my knowledge of chicken eggs is zip. :grumpy: Ok, sounds like less than 24 hours from fertilization. Great site Phobos, I can't wait to work this new information into my next casual conversation. :biggrin:

I did look up an egg site and it showed after 24 hours of incubation a chicken egg has a visible network of veins. I knew there was a visible difference shortly after they were laid, I just didn't know if there was a visible difference at the time they were laid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Hey, my knowledge of chicken eggs is zip. :grumpy:

I don't think Phobos was giggling at your potential lack of poultry knowledge (I'm sure you know some good recipes though), he just read further into your question than you intended. Let's see it again shall we...

Evo said:
how far along is the chick at the time it's laid?:devil: :tongue2:

DocToxyn said:
I don't think Phobos was giggling at your potential lack of poultry knowledge (I'm sure you know some good recipes though), he just read further into your question than you intended. Let's see it again shall we...
:blushing: :devil: :blushing:

Well, *my* mind is not in the gutter. o:)

Evo said:
:blushing: :devil: :blushing:

Well, *my* mind is not in the gutter. o:)

Hey, this is the Biology section you know. :wink: o:)

Yep, that was my mind in the gutter. Sorry! :redface:
This is what happens when one is no longer a mentor.

Evo said:
Hey, my knowledge of chicken eggs is zip. :grumpy: Ok, sounds like less than 24 hours from fertilization. Great site Phobos, I can't wait to work this new information into my next casual conversation. :biggrin:

I did look up an egg site and it showed after 24 hours of incubation a chicken egg has a visible network of veins. I knew there was a visible difference shortly after they were laid, I just didn't know if there was a visible difference at the time they were laid.
Sometimes if you do get a fertilized egg, you'll notice the yolk is a bit bloody. If you can see a chick in it, don't eat it! :biggrin:

The tricky part with chickens is they store the sperm, so can be with a rooster just a short time and have fertile eggs for a month or so (I'd have to look up how long exactly...it's been way too long since I've needed to think about poultry reproduction).

1. How do different egg types compare in terms of nutritional value?

Nutritional value can vary depending on the diet and living conditions of the chicken, but in general, all eggs contain similar amounts of protein, vitamins, and minerals. Some specialty eggs, like omega-3 enriched or pasture-raised eggs, may have slightly higher levels of certain nutrients.

2. Can we predict an egg's nutritional content based on the type of chicken that laid it?

No, there is no significant difference in nutritional value between eggs from different types of chickens. The most important factor in determining an egg's nutritional content is the chicken's diet and living conditions.

3. Are there any differences in taste between different types of eggs?

The taste of an egg is mostly determined by the chicken's diet. However, some people may notice subtle differences in taste between eggs from different types of chickens. For example, pasture-raised eggs may have a richer and more flavorful taste due to the chicken's access to a variety of plants and insects in their diet.

4. Do certain egg types have a higher risk of salmonella contamination?

All eggs have the potential to carry salmonella bacteria, regardless of the type of chicken that laid them. The best way to reduce the risk of salmonella contamination is to properly handle and cook eggs.

5. Are organic eggs better than conventional eggs?

Organic eggs come from chickens that are raised without the use of antibiotics or hormones and are fed an organic diet. While this may be beneficial for the chickens and the environment, there is no significant difference in nutritional value between organic and conventional eggs. The most important factor in egg quality is the chicken's diet and living conditions, not whether the eggs are organic or conventional.