Splitting Fields Homework: Q(5^(1/4), i) & Galois Group

In summary, the homework statement is to show that the splitting field of (x^4)-5 over Q is Q(5^(1/4), i).
calvino

Homework Statement

This question is from my text.

a)show that the splitting field of (x^4)-5 over Q is Q(5^(1/4), i).
b)show that [Q(5^(1/4), i): Q = 8].
c)what is the order of the galois group of (x^4)-5 over Q?

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't yet thought about b) and c). For a),

edit2: I have no clue how to show this. I originally thought it would be easy simply by showing the I can rewrite the polynomial into factors t(x-c1)(x-c2), where t is some constant and the cs are the given solutions, stated in the splitting field. I couldn't do it. I still have some practicing to do, but I would love any help (if any). thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A splitting field of f(x) is a field extension in which f(x) reduces to linear factors, ie, splits, and such that it splits in no proper subfield. So to show a given field extension is a splitting field, show it contains all the roots of f(x), and that these roots generate the field extension (do you see how this is equivalent to what I said above?).

calvino said:
I originally thought it would be easy simply by showing the I can rewrite the polynomial into factors t(x-c1)(x-c2), where t is some constant and the cs are the given solutions, stated in the splitting field. I couldn't do it.
What can't you do it? If you are working problems about splitting fields and Galois groups, certainly you learned long ago that (x2- a2)= (x- a)(x+ a)!

[tex]x^4- 5= (x^2)^2- (\sqrt{5})^2= (x^2- \sqrt{5})(x^2+ \sqrt{5})[/tex]
[tex]x^2- \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5})^2= (x- 5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ 5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+ \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5}i)^2= (x- i5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ i5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
What can't you do it? If you are working problems about splitting fields and Galois groups, certainly you learned long ago that (x2- a2)= (x- a)(x+ a)!

[tex]x^4- 5= (x^2)^2- (\sqrt{5})^2= (x^2- \sqrt{5})(x^2+ \sqrt{5})[/tex]
[tex]x^2- \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5})^2= (x- 5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ 5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]
and
[tex]x^2+ \sqrt{5}= x^2- (^4\sqrt{5}i)^2= (x- i5^{\frac{1}{4}})(x+ i5^{\frac{1}{4}})[/tex]

Thank you. I don't know why I tend to forget my basics. Perhaps that is my tragic flaw. Nothing seems to be retained anymore. I should rethink my studying strategies. Thanks again.

EDIT: and sometimes I get flustered by thinking a question is too complex, that I do not know where to start reasoning. Not sure...just lately with algebra...i feel lost. I'll be sure to post better questions next time.

Last edited:
Abstract algebra is a tough course. Hang in there and "practice, practice, practice"!

1. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension of a given field that contains all the roots of a given polynomial. In other words, it is the smallest field that contains all the solutions to a polynomial equation.

2. How do you find the splitting field of a polynomial?

To find the splitting field of a polynomial, you first need to factor the polynomial into irreducible factors. Then, take the coefficients of each irreducible factor and adjoin the roots of that factor to the original field. The resulting field is the splitting field.

3. What is Q(5^(1/4), i)?

Q(5^(1/4), i) is a field extension of the rational numbers Q, formed by adjoining the square root of 5 and the imaginary unit i. This field contains all the numbers of the form a + b*5^(1/4) + c*i, where a, b, and c are rational numbers.

4. What is the Galois group of Q(5^(1/4), i)?

The Galois group of Q(5^(1/4), i) is the group of automorphisms (field isomorphisms from a field to itself) that fix the rational numbers and map the square root of 5 to one of its conjugates, and map the imaginary unit i to one of its conjugates. This group has order 8, as there are 8 possible ways to map the two generators (5^(1/4) and i) to their respective conjugates.

5. What is the significance of the Galois group in splitting fields?

The Galois group provides important information about the structure of a splitting field. It can determine whether a polynomial is solvable by radicals (able to be solved using root extractions and basic operations) and can also reveal the number of distinct roots of a polynomial. Additionally, the Galois group is important in understanding the symmetries and patterns within a polynomial's roots.