Change in area due to relative motion

In summary, the observer O' moves at 0.8c along the diagonal of a square with an area of 100 cm^2 in the reference frame of O. The contracted length of the diagonal is 6/(2^(1/2)) cm, and the new shape is a rhombus with an area of 60 cm^2. This is because the vertical leg is contracted while the horizontal leg remains unchanged, resulting in a rhombus instead of a square.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

1) A square of area 100 cm^2 is at rest in the reference frame of O. Observer O’ moves relative to O at 0.8c along the diagonal of the square. What is the area measured by O’?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it the following way:
I resolved each side of the square into 2 components- One along the diagonal and the other perpendicular to the diagonal.
Given that side of square(a)=10 cm
Component of side a along the diagonal=a(cos(45)) cm
Component of side a perpendicular to the diagonal=a(sin(45)) cm
Due to the motion of O’ only the component of a along the diagonal gets
contracted.
Contracted length= a(cos(45))[1 – v^2/c^2]^(1/2)
= 6/(2^(1/2))
Let a1 be the side of the new square w.r.t O’.
By applying Pythagoras theorem,
a1=[ {6/(2^(1/2))}^2 + { a(sin(45))}^2]^(1/2)
= sqrt(68) cm
Area of new square= (a1)^2
= 68 cm^2
But the answer the given in my book is 60 cm^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amith2006 said:

Homework Statement

1) A square of area 100 cm^2 is at rest in the reference frame of O. Observer O’ moves relative to O at 0.8c along the diagonal of the square. What is the area measured by O’?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it the following way:
I resolved each side of the square into 2 components- One along the diagonal and the other perpendicular to the diagonal.
Given that side of square(a)=10 cm
Component of side a along the diagonal=a(cos(45)) cm
Component of side a perpendicular to the diagonal=a(sin(45)) cm
Due to the motion of O’ only the component of a along the diagonal gets
contracted.
Contracted length= a(cos(45))[1 – v^2/c^2]^(1/2)
= 6/(2^(1/2))
Let a1 be the side of the new square w.r.t O’.
By applying Pythagoras theorem,
a1=[ {6/(2^(1/2))}^2 + { a(sin(45))}^2]^(1/2)
= sqrt(68) cm
Area of new square= (a1)^2
= 68 cm^2
But the answer the given in my book is 60 cm^2.
You calculated the sides of the shape correctly, but why did you assume that the new shape as viewed by the observer was still a square?

PhanthomJay said:
You calculated the sides of the shape correctly, but why did you assume that the new shape as viewed by the observer was still a square?

That is because all the sides are contracted to the same extent. So I thought that it would still remain a square.

Amith2006 said:
That is because all the sides are contracted to the same extent. So I thought that it would still remain a square.
When you calculated the side a1 using Pythagorus, you correctly took the sq rt of the sum of the squares of the triangle legs. The vertical leg is contracted
along the diagonal of the square in the direction of the motion. The horizontal leg (and horizontal diagonal of the square) is not contracted, since it is perpendicular to the motion. Draw a quick sketch . You no longer will have a square.

So the resultant figure is a rhombus, isn’t it?
Area = ½ x (diagonal1)x(diagonal2)
= ½ x [6(2^(1/2))]x[10(2^(1/2)]
= 60 cm^2
Am I right now?

Amith2006 said:
So the resultant figure is a rhombus, isn’t it?
Area = ½ x (diagonal1)x(diagonal2)
= ½ x [6(2^(1/2))]x[10(2^(1/2)]
= 60 cm^2
Am I right now?
Yes, you've got it.

Thanx buddy.

What is "change in area due to relative motion"?

"Change in area due to relative motion" refers to the change in the size or shape of an object or space when it is in motion relative to another object or reference point. This can occur due to factors such as velocity, acceleration, or forces acting on the object.

What causes change in area due to relative motion?

The change in area due to relative motion is caused by the interaction between an object and its surroundings. This can be due to forces acting on the object, such as friction or air resistance, or the object's own motion and acceleration.

How is change in area due to relative motion measured?

Change in area due to relative motion can be measured using various methods, depending on the specific situation. In some cases, it can be measured using mathematical equations and calculations, while in others it may require physical measurements or observations.

What are some real-life examples of change in area due to relative motion?

Some real-life examples of change in area due to relative motion include a car accelerating on a curved road, causing a change in the car's direction and thus its area; a rollercoaster moving along its tracks, changing its orientation and area as it goes through loops and curves; and a plane taking off or landing, changing its position and area relative to the ground.

How does understanding change in area due to relative motion help in scientific research?

Understanding change in area due to relative motion is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows scientists to accurately predict and model the behavior of objects and systems in motion, and to design and develop new technologies and innovations based on this understanding.