Navier Stokes, separation steady/non-steady

In summary, the speaker is trying to split their flow into two components, one steady and one non-steady, for reasons that they do not explain. They are looking for a simple equation to describe the evolution of the non-steady component, and the complete momentum equation leads to a more complex equation. By assuming that the steady component is steady and both components are perturbations, they can simplify the equation. However, they are still trying to find an even simpler equation and are unsure of the necessary assumptions. They mention the possibility of using the Navier-Stokes equation and the perturbation method, but this may not be applicable to their situation. They also mention studying non-ideal MHD or plasma physics and the Malkus
Heimdall
Hello, I want, for obscur reasons which would lead us too far to explain, to split my flow into two component, one steady and another one non-steady[tex]v = v_0 + v'[/tex]

I'm looking for a simple equation governing the evolution of this non steady components. The complete momentum equation gives

[tex]\rho\frac{\partial (v_0 + v')}{\partial t} = -\rho\left(\left(v_0 + v'\right)\nabla\right)\left(v_0 + v'\right) - \nabla P + \rho g + \frac{1}{\mu_0}\left(\nabla \times B\right)\times B + \mu\triangle\left(v_0+v'\right) [/tex]

Assuming that v0 is steady and that both v0 and v' are perturbations of the hydrostatic state, we can get rid of the pressure gradient and the gravity force, leading to the following equation : [tex]\rho\frac{\partial v'}{\partial t} = -\rho\left(\left(v_0 + v'\right)\nabla\right)\left(v_0 + v'\right) + \frac{1}{\mu_0}\left(\nabla \times B\right)\times B + \mu\triangle\left(v_0+v'\right) [/tex]I would be pleased to get an even easier equation, but I can't find out the hypothesis necessary to get rid of some of the advection terms or the v0 diffusive term.

Are there some time/space scales which I should compare ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to decide if the Vo field is a solution of the Navier-Stokes equation.
If yes, then the 0-order term disappears completely, of course.
Then you could develop the equation to first order in v' and drop 2-order terms.
Usually, the Vo field is a static solution and v' is a time-dependent perturbation.

Are you studying non-ideal MHD or plasma physics? There are probably many books discussing that, although you will commonly find the effect of resisitivity included instead of the effect of viscosity.

Last edited:
Hum I don't think what you say is the solution. You are talking about the perturbation method, where you drop the zero order term and 2nd order terms.

but here, v' is *not* a perturbation in the way that we don't suppose that v' << v0, it is just a non-steady component. Just saying that the time scale of v0 variations is much much longer than the one for v'... v0 is then considered steady and v' is a deviation from the temporal average.

I saw something close to what I want to do, in "renolds averaged navier stokes equation", but it seems it is usually used for turbulence modeling.

In my study, v' doesn't mean turbulence motion at all. I'm looking for some justification of an equation used in solar dynamo modeling, invoquing "malkus-proctor mechanism"

For solar dynamo modeling, it is usual to solve only the induction equation, with an analytical flow given. The flow consist.. for the sun... of the differential rotation (longitudinal velocity) and a meridional circulation. This is called kinematic dynamo. When one wants to study lorentz force feedback on the flow there is generally two methods, the first consist 'simply' to solve full mhd system by adding the navier stokes equation to your equations... but this is not trivial and needs energy equation etc...

The second method is what is called "malkus proctor" mechanism, large scale magnetic field feedback on the flow by the following equation :

[tex]\frac{\partial U'}{\partial t} = \Lambda \left(\nabla \times B\right)\times B + Pm\nabla ^2 U'[/tex] (2)

with :

[tex]u=U+U'[/tex] (1)
[tex]\Lambda[/tex] is called the Elssasser number, Pm is the magnetic Prantl number.

where U is a steady profile and U' the dime dependant flow field driven by lorentz force.

This is the equation I want to derive from basic MHD equations for the flow... starting with the basic assumption that you can split the flow field in a steady profile and a time dependant component.

What I don't really get, is why there is no advection term, or v0 diffusive term.. I could understand the pressure and gravitation miss by assuming perturbations of hydrostatic equilibrium as I said above... but I can't find out a rigourous derivation for the equation.

I realize that maybe prescribing u0 and solving u' might not mean that u0 is steady and u' is not :-/

1. What is the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. It takes into account factors such as viscosity, pressure, and velocity to predict the behavior of a fluid in motion.

2. What is separation in fluid flow?

Separation in fluid flow refers to the phenomenon where the flow of a fluid separates from a surface, causing a region of low pressure. This can occur when the fluid encounters an obstacle or changes direction suddenly, and can lead to turbulence and other flow instabilities.

3. What is the difference between steady and non-steady flow?

Steady flow is when the properties of the fluid (such as velocity, pressure, and density) do not change with respect to time. Non-steady flow, on the other hand, is when these properties vary over time. In other words, steady flow is a constant flow, while non-steady flow is a changing flow.

4. How is the Navier-Stokes equation used in engineering?

The Navier-Stokes equation is used in engineering to model and predict the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in designing airplanes, cars, and ships. It is also used in the design of pumps, turbines, and other fluid machinery.

5. What are the limitations of the Navier-Stokes equation?

The Navier-Stokes equation is a complex set of equations that can only be solved analytically for simple cases. In most practical applications, numerical methods are required to solve the equation. It also has limitations in accurately predicting turbulent flow and other non-linear phenomena, leading to the development of alternative equations and models.