Electron configuration quantum numbers

In summary, you need to use Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity to fill the electron shells in carbon.
Unskilled
I need help with this problem :)

Problem: Give the quantum numbers (n, l, ml, ms) for each electron in one neutral carbonatom in ground state.

My solution: I look at a table to get the electron configuration and for a carbonatom i get 1S^2 2s^2 2p^2

For s
n=1, l=0, ml=0, ms=+-1/2
n=2, l=0, ml=0, ms=+-1/2
n=2, l=1, ml=-1,0,1, ms=??
For p
n=2, l=0, ml=0, ms=??
n=2, l=1, ml=-1,0,1, ms=??

My question: From the two first shells from s i get 4 electrons, so i have to get 2 more, but from where do i get those 2? It must be som kind of rule but i can't find any. pls help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
you first two lines for the 1s ans 2s shells are correct

since you have [itex] 2p^2[/itex] and there are only 2 electrons in the p orbital we fill electrons in the spaces with ascending order of ml value with spin +1/2 electrons first and then -1/2 electrons

that is, only m=-1 and ml=0 are occupied with spin +1/2 electrons

Firstly, you definitely shouldn't have to look up the electronic configuration of carbon in a table. For a lanthanide, that's ok. But you need to be able to figure out the electronic configurations of the first four periods by yourself. There's only a few basic rules you need to use (Aufbau principle, Pauli's Exclusion principle, Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity, stability of half and fully filled shells). Maybe you should study your textbook more thoroughly.

As for your question, it will be helpful to work digrammatically. Draw small boxes for each orbital, group them together by subshells and put each shell in its own row. Then start filling up electrons. Carbon has 6 electrons. First 2 go in 1s. Next 2 go in 2s. Next 2 go in 2p, and Hund's rule demands that they occupy two separate 2p orbitals with same spin.

For 1s2, you have (n,l,m,s) = (1,0,0,+1/2) and (1,0,0,-1/2)
For 2s2, (2,0,0,+1/2) and (2,0,0,-1/2)
For 2p2, (2,1,-1,+1/2) and (2,1,0,+1/2)

You are mistaken in your understanding of what s and p mean. They are labels to denote subshells, the value of l. Whatever the shell, s always means l=0 and p always means l=1. After that, m varies from -l to +l. Really, this is all very basic stuff that forms the foundation of chemistry. You really should read your textbook of introductory chemistry more thoroughly.

Molu

loom91 said:
Firstly, you definitely shouldn't have to look up the electronic configuration of carbon in a table. For a lanthanide, that's ok. But you need to be able to figure out the electronic configurations of the first four periods by yourself. There's only a few basic rules you need to use (Aufbau principle, Pauli's Exclusion principle, Hund's Rule of Maximum Multiplicity, stability of half and fully filled shells). Maybe you should study your textbook more thoroughly.

As for your question, it will be helpful to work digrammatically. Draw small boxes for each orbital, group them together by subshells and put each shell in its own row. Then start filling up electrons. Carbon has 6 electrons. First 2 go in 1s. Next 2 go in 2s. Next 2 go in 2p, and Hund's rule demands that they occupy two separate 2p orbitals with same spin.

For 1s2, you have (n,l,m,s) = (1,0,0,+1/2) and (1,0,0,-1/2)
For 2s2, (2,0,0,+1/2) and (2,0,0,-1/2)
For 2p2, (2,1,-1,+1/2) and (2,1,0,+1/2)

You are mistaken in your understanding of what s and p mean. They are labels to denote subshells, the value of l. Whatever the shell, s always means l=0 and p always means l=1. After that, m varies from -l to +l. Really, this is all very basic stuff that forms the foundation of chemistry. You really should read your textbook of introductory chemistry more thoroughly.

Molu

Thanks for the help, for this problem i think i understand how it works. But in generall I'm very confused.
The course i have is quantum physics, and my book doesn't say anything about Aufbau principle and hund's rule. We are just studing the Schrödinger equation and from that learning about quantum number and so on.
I read about hund's rule but i don't get it very well. You were talking about s gives l=0 and p gives l=1 does this mean that this continues like this and d gives l=2 and so on? and we must pick m from -1 to 1 or in the d case from -2 to 2? If so it is very good thing to remember. Which rule och princip gives this? is it hund's rule?

1. What are the three quantum numbers used to describe electron configuration?

The three quantum numbers used to describe electron configuration are the principal quantum number (n), the angular momentum quantum number (l), and the magnetic quantum number (ml).

2. How does the principal quantum number (n) affect electron configuration?

The principal quantum number (n) determines the energy level of the electron, with higher values of n corresponding to higher energy levels. This also determines the size of the orbital and the distance of the electron from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the angular momentum quantum number (l) in electron configuration?

The angular momentum quantum number (l) determines the shape of the orbital where the electron is most likely to be found. It can have values from 0 to n-1, and each value corresponds to a specific subshell (s, p, d, or f).

4. How does the magnetic quantum number (ml) relate to electron configuration?

The magnetic quantum number (ml) specifies the orientation of the orbital in space. It can have values from -l to +l, and each value corresponds to a specific orbital within a subshell.

5. How do electron configuration quantum numbers follow the Aufbau principle?

The Aufbau principle states that electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy. In electron configuration, this means that electrons will fill orbitals with lower values of n, l, and ml before moving on to higher values.