Can the Lorentz Transformations be derived with only two conditions?

In summary: Try to find a few different derivations of the Lorentz transformations, and see which ones give you the conditions that you are interested in.
rahuldandekar
The book I use for relativity states that 4 conditions are required to get the four constants in the lorentz transformations. The 4 conditions the book uses are:
1) velocity of S' seen by S is v.
2) velocity of S as seen by S' is v.
3) Time dilation is same in either frame.
4) Speed of light is same in either frame.

However, my class uses Robert Resnick's "Introduction to Special Relativity" as the textbook. The derivation of the Lorentz transformations in that book is very different. Resnick uses the first condition as the velocity of S as seen by S'. However, the second condition used is that a sperical wave of light will remain spherical with speed c in both the frames. That equation is essentially x^2 = c^2*t^2 (in both frames), since y=y' and z=z'. This condition gives the three remaining constants.

But Resnick gets all 4 by using just the two conditions. Are the other two implicit in the second condition he uses? I am trying to wrap my head around this point, but I just cannot make sense of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need (1), (2), and (4). (3) can then be derived.
Some derivations implicitly use (2) by saying that the two frames are equivalent.

Because of the numerous symmetries of Minkowski space,
there are *lots* of ways to get the Lorentz [boost] Transformations
...with varying starting points, levels of sophistication, and pedagogical strengths.

Here's a partial summary of approaches,
attached to an old post
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4406&d=1122686537
( from "Spacetime and Electromagnetism" by J.R. Lucas, P.E. Hodgson )

For any "list of conditions" given in a derivation of the Lorentz boost transformations, there are likely other conditions that have been implictly assumed. Don't get too hung up on a particular derivation [unless you are willing to include the implicit assumptions in your study].

What is the concept behind Lorentz Transformations?

Lorentz Transformations are a set of mathematical equations that describe how measurements of space and time are affected by the movement of objects at high speeds, specifically in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity.

Why are Lorentz Transformations important in physics?

Lorentz Transformations are important because they allow us to accurately describe and predict how objects behave in the universe, especially at high speeds where classical Newtonian mechanics break down. They also provide a fundamental understanding of the relationship between space and time.

What is the difference between Galilean transformations and Lorentz transformations?

Galilean transformations, based on classical Newtonian mechanics, describe how measurements of space and time are affected by objects moving at low speeds. Lorentz transformations, based on Einstein's theory of relativity, account for the effects of objects moving at high speeds and the constant speed of light.

Can Lorentz Transformations be used to explain time dilation and length contraction?

Yes, Lorentz Transformations are used to explain these effects, which are central to Einstein's theory of relativity. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object in motion, while length contraction refers to the shortening of an object's length in the direction of its motion.

How are Lorentz Transformations used in practical applications?

Lorentz Transformations are used in a wide range of practical applications, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and spacecraft navigation. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and in the development of theories such as the Big Bang.