Windows System Restore Question

In summary, Windows System Restore is a useful tool for resetting registry keys to previous values in both the XP and Vista environment. It may also affect permissions and networking settings. However, after a successful system restore, there is no way to determine which registry keys were changed. It would be helpful if the computer provided a report of these changes, but it does not retain this information. Backing up the registry beforehand may show thousands of changes, making it difficult to pinpoint specific issues.
sysreset
I find that Windows System Restore has gotten me out of many a jam, both in the XP and Vista environment. My understanding is that it basically resets the registry keys to values that existed at a predetermined time. I am not sure if it does other things as well as relating to permissions and networking, too.

It would be really nice, after a successful system restore, if the computer would tell me which registry keys changed during the restore. If it were only one or two keys, it would go a long way to pinpointing problems for prevention in the future. Or, a report about anything it reset that changed value.

Has anyone found a way to get this info after a restore?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The information isn't retained, so I don't think there's a way to answer it./ If you happened to back up the registry shortly beforehand, I think you'd find thousands or even tens of thousands of changes. It's hard to use a computer for an hour without making at least a dozen changes to the registry.

I can understand the usefulness of Windows System Restore in resolving computer issues. It is a valuable tool for restoring a computer to a previous working state. However, as you mentioned, it would be beneficial to have more information about the changes made during a system restore.

Unfortunately, there is currently no built-in feature in Windows that provides a detailed report on the registry keys changed during a system restore. However, there are third-party tools available that can track and monitor registry changes, such as Regshot or RegScanner. These tools can be used before and after a system restore to compare the changes made to the registry, giving you a better understanding of the modifications made.

In addition to registry changes, Windows System Restore also affects files, user profiles, and system settings, so it may be challenging to pinpoint the exact cause of an issue after a system restore. It is always recommended to keep regular backups of your important files and to create system restore points before making any significant changes to your computer.

In conclusion, while Windows System Restore is a useful tool, it is important to have a backup plan and use additional tools to track and monitor changes made during a system restore to better understand and prevent future issues.

1. What is Windows System Restore?

Windows System Restore is a feature on Microsoft Windows operating systems that allows users to revert their computer's system files, settings, and programs to a previous point in time. It essentially creates a "snapshot" of your system's configuration that can be used to undo any changes that may have caused issues.

2. How do I use Windows System Restore?

To use Windows System Restore, go to the Start menu and type "system restore" in the search bar. Click on the "Create a restore point" option and then choose "System Restore." From there, you can select a restore point from a list of available dates and times, and follow the prompts to restore your system to that point.

3. Will using Windows System Restore delete my personal files?

No, using Windows System Restore will not delete your personal files. It only affects system files and settings, not personal documents or data. However, it is always recommended to back up important files before performing a system restore, just in case.

4. Can I undo a Windows System Restore?

Yes, you can undo a Windows System Restore by going back to the "System Restore" window and selecting the option to undo the last restore. This will revert your system back to its previous state before the system restore was performed.

5. When should I use Windows System Restore?

Windows System Restore can be useful in situations where your computer is experiencing issues, such as crashes, errors, or performance problems, and you suspect that recent changes may have caused these problems. It is also recommended to use System Restore before making any major changes to your system, such as installing new software or drivers, as it can serve as a backup in case anything goes wrong.