Reviewing for the FE exam, came across questionable thermo problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a Thermodynamics problem involving a gas going through different processes and the net work during the C-to-A process. The solution provided in the book is questioned as it does not take into account the number of moles of gas. However, it is stated that the solution should use PAVA instead of nRTA and the amount of gas is not needed to solve the problem. The work done in the A-to-B process is calculated to be -18.8 kJ.
jasc15
Im studying for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam (coming up April 12!) and came across this Thermodynamics problem in my review book.

A gas goes through the following processes:

A to B: isothermal compression
B to C: isochoric compression
C to A: isobaric expansion

PC = PA = 1.4bar
VC = VB = 0.028m3
The net work during the C-to-A process is WCA = 10.5kJ

What work is performed in the A-to-B process?

So the work for an isothermal process is RTA*ln(VB/VA), where VA was previously determined to be 0.103m3.

In the solution to the problem, the RTA term is replaced with PA*VA, where it should be (PA*VA)/n from the ideal gas law.

Is this solution wrong? As I see it, this can't be solved without knowing the number of moles of gas (or mass of the gas depending on which R is used). I was unable to get the correct answer, and the solution seems wrong to me.

Science news on Phys.org
The solution should have replaced nRTA with PAVA. You don't need to know the amount of gas to solve this problem.

EDIT: I get -18.8 kJ for the work done in the A-to-B process.

Last edited:

I would say that the solution provided in this problem is incorrect. The ideal gas law, which is PV = nRT, should be used to solve for the work in an isothermal process, where n is the number of moles of gas. In this problem, the solution incorrectly uses PA*VA instead of (PA*VA)/n, which is not a valid substitution.

In addition, the problem does not provide information about the number of moles of gas or the mass of the gas, which is necessary to solve for the work in an isothermal process. Without this information, it is impossible to accurately solve for the work in the A-to-B process.

I would recommend bringing this issue to the attention of the review book's publisher or author so that they can correct the mistake and provide a more accurate solution for students preparing for the FE exam. It is important for review materials to be accurate and reliable in order to properly prepare students for their exams.

1. What is the FE exam?

The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam is a standardized test administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) to assess the knowledge and skills of individuals who want to become licensed engineers in the United States.

2. What is the purpose of reviewing for the FE exam?

The purpose of reviewing for the FE exam is to refresh and reinforce the fundamental engineering concepts and principles that are covered on the exam. This helps candidates better prepare and increase their chances of passing the exam.

3. What does it mean for a problem to be "questionable" on the FE exam?

A "questionable" problem on the FE exam means that there may be errors or inconsistencies in the problem statement or solution. It is important to bring these issues to the attention of the exam administrators so that they can be addressed and corrected for future exams.

4. How can I determine if a thermo problem on the FE exam is questionable?

To determine if a thermo problem on the FE exam is questionable, you can compare it to the reference material provided by NCEES. If the problem differs significantly from the material or contains errors, it may be considered questionable.

5. What should I do if I come across a questionable thermo problem while reviewing for the FE exam?

If you come across a questionable thermo problem while reviewing for the FE exam, you should report it to NCEES immediately. This can be done through their website or by contacting their customer service. It is important to provide specific details about the problem and why you believe it is questionable.