Circular motion(Normal-Tangential)

• Thread starter Jason03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a train on a curved track. The problem involves finding the normal force and radius of the track. Suggestions are given and clarifications are made on the direction of acceleration and the normal force.
Physics news on Phys.org
Jason03 said:
Heres the problem I was working on

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/guitaristx/train.jpg

Heres what I came up with so far...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/guitaristx/trainwork.jpg

I feel like I am missing some numbers...any suggestions?

Consider the situation when the train is just about to "fly off" and leave the tracks. In that case, the normal force on the train is zero. This should alllow you to solve for rho.

EDIT: Question b does not make sense to me...What do they mean by "bottom of a hill"? Maybe we are to assume that we have now a track curved upward with the same radius?

ok i got

A = N-g

A = 0 - 9.8m/s^2

so

r = 106^2/-9.8 = -1148 m

does that make sense for the first question?

Jason03 said:
ok i got

A = N-g

A = 0 - 9.8m/s^2

so

r = 106^2/-9.8 = -1148 m

does that make sense for the first question?

Well a radius can't be negative.

Be careful, you are using

[tex] \sum F_y = m a_y [/tex]

so your a_y should be [tex] - v^2/ r [/tex] not v^2/r.
Other than that it looks fine

how is Velocity negative when gravity is acting downward in the y direction?

when you solve A-sub-n you get -9.8m/s^2 however A-sub-n in the FBD is acting upward. So how do you know which sign to use?

Jason03 said:
how is Velocity negative when gravity is acting downward in the y direction?

I never said that a velocity is negative. I am talking about the y component of the acceleration. The radial (or centripetal) acceleration a_rad always points to ward the center of the circle. In your example, the center of the circle is below the train. Therefore

[tex] a_y = - a_{Rad} = - \frac{v^2}{R} [/tex]

ok I see what your saying, than my FBD would be wrong? I have the A-rad pointing upward.

In terms of Normal and Tangential accerlation, when I draw the FBD if the normal Accerleration is upward, does that mean the Normal Force is also upwards?

Jason03 said:
ok I see what your saying, than my FBD would be wrong? I have the A-rad pointing upward.

In terms of Normal and Tangential accerlation, when I draw the FBD if the normal Accerleration is upward, does that mean the Normal Force is also upwards?

I am not sure what you mean by "normal acceleration". If we have circular motion, there is a radial accceleration and there is a tangential acceleration. The radial acceleration is toward the center of the circle. So downward in your diagram. The normal force is always perpendicualr and away from the surface so it's upward.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center point remains constant. It is a type of rotational motion and can be seen in objects such as planets orbiting the sun or a spinning top.

2. What is the difference between normal and tangential circular motion?

In circular motion, the normal component refers to the force acting perpendicular to the direction of motion, while the tangential component refers to the force acting parallel to the direction of motion. In other words, the normal force keeps the object on its circular path, while the tangential force affects the speed of the object.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. In circular motion, the centripetal force is provided by the normal force.

4. What is the role of velocity in circular motion?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes an object's speed and direction of motion. In circular motion, the velocity of an object is constantly changing as it moves along the circular path. The direction of the velocity vector is always tangent to the circle, and the speed is determined by the tangential component of the object's acceleration.

5. What is the relationship between angular and linear velocity in circular motion?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. In circular motion, the two velocities are related by the radius of the circle. The linear velocity is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the circle.