PF PHOTO CONTEST - What Is That? (7/12-7/18)

In summary, this week's photo contest is all about things that evoke a response of "What is that?" from a viewer. Any unfamiliar or unusual object qualifies.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
What Is That?

This week, your photos must be on something that is unfamiliar or unusual. It should tend to evoke a response of "What is that?" from a viewer. Any unfamiliar or unusual object qualifies.

Note however that pictures of familiar objects but taken either at an unusual angle or situation, or at extreme close-up, do not qualify

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
8251da27.jpg

musical.jpg

Something older then I am.

Okay, I'll give this one a try.
whatisit.jpg

My friends at University of Michigan call it the "Big Pringle Thing." This was included in the directions of how to find the building we had a symposium in, and until I saw it, I had NO IDEA what they meant by a big Pringle thing. As soon as you see it, it becomes quite obvious. I had to take some photos of it, because it was so strange looking. I think it houses the mechanical room/equipment for the building right behind it in the photo.

Used to belong to my dad.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/whatisit2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this "rock" while weeding my vegetable garden this afternoon. I don't think it's really a rock because of the curved striations in it. I'm assuming that it is fused glass because it has clear and amber layers, though I am at a loss to explain how a mix of glasses got hot enough to fuse so cleanly as this and then get fractured and ultimately end up in my garden. Very odd.
whatisit.jpg

Last edited:
288271580.jpg

Baking soda crystals on red glass. The area is actually smaller than a postage stamp...

Attachments

• 288271580.jpg
    288271580.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 304
ZapperZ said:
img1869xb7.jpg

Zz.

How did I know you were going to use the giant Bean as your entry photo? :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
I found this "rock" while weeding my vegetable garden this afternoon. I don't think it's really a rock because of the curved striations in it. I'm assuming that it is fused glass because it has clear and amber layers, though I am at a loss to explain how a mix of glasses got hot enough to fuse so cleanly as this and then get fractured and ultimately end up in my garden. Very odd.
whatisit.jpg

Campfire, brown and clear glass...my best guess

binzing said:
Campfire, brown and clear glass...my best guess
It would have to be an awfully hot campfire in a reducing atmosphere to produce such a clean, uncontaminated lump of glass. You're probably right, though. Nobody up here (where wood is king!) would burn coal, which might have allowed the production of some glass slag like this.

Hey, I see melted glass all the time in new mexico where the hicks shoot and burn everything up in the hills

People tend to wonder what the heck this thing is...

Whatsit.jpg

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

acoto.jpg

Never used it personally :wink:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3180/3153scrappollenbywhitepgv7.jpg

Old point and shoot camera= lots of noise

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the "PF PHOTO CONTEST - What Is That?"

The "PF PHOTO CONTEST - What Is That?" is a weekly photography challenge organized by the PF Science Club, where participants are asked to capture and submit photos of various scientific concepts or objects.

Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

Anyone can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST, regardless of their age, location, or photographic experience. The contest is open to all science enthusiasts and photographers.

How can I submit my photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

To submit your photo for the PF PHOTO CONTEST, you can either post it on social media with the hashtag #PFPhotoContest or email it to the PF Science Club. Make sure to include your name, location, and a brief description of your photo.

What are the criteria for judging in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is judged based on creativity, composition, and relevance to the given theme. The judges are looking for photos that are visually appealing, unique, and represent the scientific concept or object accurately.

What are the prizes for the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The top three winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST will receive a certificate of recognition, PF Science Club merchandise, and their photos will be showcased on the club's social media platforms. Additionally, all participants will receive feedback on their photos from the judges.