Proving X \ A is Uncountable When A is Countable

• Thread starter pzzldstudent
  • Start date
In summary, if A is a countable subset of an uncountable set X, then X \ A is uncountable. This can be proven by assuming X \ A is countable and showing that this leads to a contradiction, as the union of two countable sets (A and X \ A) would result in X being countable, which contradicts the initial assumption that X is uncountable. Therefore, X \ A must be uncountable.
pzzldstudent
Statement to prove:
If A is a countable subset of an uncountable set X, prove
that X \ A (or "X remove A" or "X - A") is uncountable.

My work so far:
Let A be a countable subset of an uncountable set X.
(N denotes the set of all naturals)
So A is equivalent to N (or "A ~ N") by the definition of countable.
X is not equivalent to N since X is uncountable.
Assume X \ A is countable. That is (X \ A) ~ N. Thus there is a bijection from (X \ A) to N. However since X is uncountable it is not guaranteed there is an n in N such that there is an x in X that maps to n. And so X \ A is uncountable.

I know that proof is incomplete and may even be completely off :|
I am really struggling in this class (Intro to Real Analysis) and feel as if it will be my GPA-killer (but I don't want it to be!). I'm having a hard time with the countable/uncountable concepts we covered last week.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

If both A and X\A were countable, what would that imply about the countability of X = A union X\A?

"Thus there is a bijection from (X \ A) to N. However since X is uncountable it is not guaranteed there is an n in N such that there is an x in X that maps to n. And so X \ A is uncountable"
Not bad at all, but you need to develop precision and what you need to prove.
Here, I think your intuition was sort of correct (namely that IF X/A were countable, that would entail that all of X would be countable, something you know is forbidden)

You are struggling, but in your case, you are moving upwards, whatever you might feel right now.
:smile:

maze said:
If both A and X\A were countable, what would that imply about the countability of X = A union X\A?

*light goes on in head* I think I see it now:
Okay, I think I got it (thanks to your help!):

My proof would be:

Let A be a countable subset of an uncountable set X. Assume X \ A is countable.
A union X \ A = X which is countable because the union of two countable sets is countable. BUT, this is a contradiction to the assumption that X is uncountable. Therefore, X \ A is uncountable. QED.

Did I get it? :D

pzzldstudent said:
*light goes on in head* I think I see it now:
Okay, I think I got it (thanks to your help!):

My proof would be:

Let A be a countable subset of an uncountable set X. Assume X \ A is countable.
A union X \ A = X which is countable because the union of two countable sets is countable. BUT, this is a contradiction to the assumption that X is uncountable. Therefore, X \ A is uncountable. QED.

Did I get it? :D
Yes.

arildno said:
"Thus there is a bijection from (X \ A) to N. However since X is uncountable it is not guaranteed there is an n in N such that there is an x in X that maps to n. And so X \ A is uncountable"
Not bad at all, but you need to develop precision and what you need to prove.
Here, I think your intuition was sort of correct (namely that IF X/A were countable, that would entail that all of X would be countable, something you know is forbidden)

You are struggling, but in your case, you are moving upwards, whatever you might feel right now.
:smile:

Thanks for the encouraging note :) My professor did give a list of tips that to prove something uncountable we'd need a contradiction and so we would first assume it countable. Thanks to everyone's helps/tips, I'm slowly getting the hang of this.
This forum rocks and is a tremendous lifesaver! :) Thanks, everyone!

arildno said:
Yes.

Awesome, thanks again! :cool:

What does it mean for a set to be countable?

A set is countable if it has a finite number of elements or if its elements can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...).

What does it mean for a set to be uncountable?

A set is uncountable if it has an infinite number of elements and cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

How can we prove that X \ A is uncountable when A is countable?

To prove that X \ A is uncountable when A is countable, we can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that X \ A is countable, then we can put its elements into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. However, since A is countable, we can also put its elements into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This means that we can put all the elements of X into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, which contradicts the fact that X is uncountable. Therefore, X \ A must be uncountable when A is countable.

What is an example of a countable set?

An example of a countable set is the set of all even numbers, as we can put its elements into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (0, 2, 4, 6, ...).

What is an example of an uncountable set?

An example of an uncountable set is the set of all real numbers. Since there is no way to put all real numbers into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, this set is uncountable.