What was the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η )?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between photon wavelength and energy in an excited hydrogen atom. The wavelength of the radiation emitted is 121 nm and the task is to determine the energy level of the individual electron in the excited state. The person is seeking help with understanding the chemistry problem and its solution.
tiffgraf

Homework Statement

When a excited atom hydrogen ( wavelength ) de-energized emits energy and the electron returns to the fundamental situation. If the wavelength of the radiation emitted is 121 nm, to find what was the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η ) in the excited state of it.

Homework Equations

I don't know how to solve this so please help me

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me understand better this chemistry problem and his solution if you want be analytic to the solution
Thanks to all will help me I will be gratefully

Physics news on Phys.org
What is realationship between photon wavelength and energy?

I can provide a response to this question. In order to determine the energy level of the individual electron in a hydrogen atom, we can use the equation E = hc/λ, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the emitted radiation.

In this case, we are given the wavelength (121 nm) and we know that the electron is returning to its fundamental state from an excited state. This means that the energy level of the electron in the excited state is higher than the energy level in the fundamental state. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the initial energy level (Ei) in the excited state, given the final energy level (Ef) in the fundamental state.

Ei = Ef + hc/λ

Substituting the values, we get:

Ei = 0 + (6.626 x 10^-34 J·s)(3.00 x 10^8 m/s)/(121 x 10^-9 m)

Ei = 1.64 x 10^-18 J

Therefore, the energy level of the individual electron in the excited state of a hydrogen atom is 1.64 x 10^-18 J. I hope this helps you understand the problem and its solution better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

What is the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η )?

The energy level of the individual electron of a hydrogen atom (Η) is determined by its principal quantum number, n. This number ranges from 1 to infinity, with larger values indicating higher energy levels.

How is the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η ) calculated?

The energy level of the individual electron of a hydrogen atom (Η) can be calculated using the formula E = -13.6/n², where E is the energy level in electron volts (eV) and n is the principal quantum number.

What is the significance of the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η )?

The energy level of the individual electron of a hydrogen atom (Η) determines the amount of energy required to move the electron to a higher energy level or to remove it from the atom completely. It also affects the behavior and properties of the atom.

How does the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η ) relate to its spectral lines?

The energy level of the individual electron of a hydrogen atom (Η) corresponds to the energy difference between different electron orbitals. When an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, it releases energy in the form of light, creating spectral lines.

Can the energy level of the individual electron of hydrogen atom ( Η ) change?

Yes, the energy level of the individual electron of a hydrogen atom (Η) can change when the atom absorbs or emits energy. This can happen through processes such as electron excitation or ionization.