Phyiscs or mech eng better suited for energy study

In summary, a student with a strong interest in solar energy and a physics math major in the early stages of their degree is considering switching majors to ensure they are on the right path for pursuing graduate studies. They are specifically interested in researching and working with solar energy for energy generation, but are concerned about the focus on material science in physics. They are unsure if this is the right field for studying and building devices for solar energy, and are seeking insight and advice. It is suggested that they pursue condensed matter and/or material science for improving photovoltaics, but mechanical engineering may be a better fit for other types of solar energy. Electrical engineering may also be an option for developing PV cells.
koab1mjr
I am currently a physics math major with a strong interest in solar energy. I am early enough in my degree to switch majors. My intention is to pursue graduate study but I want to make sure I am on the right track.

I wanted to know what was a better fit for career researching and working with solar energy for the purpose of energy generation. I am concerned since it seems the only way phyiscs really works in is on the material science from and I am not really interested in that aspect of the process. I want to research buidling devices that generate power from solar. Is that out of the stomping grounds of advance physics degree. I am worried that I would just be studying the property of a specific piece, rather than the whole system that makes it work.

any insight much appreciated

Thanks in advance

M

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of solar are we talking about here? Photovoltaics, solar-thermal, solar-thermolysis?

I am worried that I would just be studying the property of a specific piece, rather than the whole system that makes it work.

Your going to find this no matter what route you go. No one person does everything in commercial projects.

If you want to work on improving photovoltaics I suggest you go the physics route in the field of condensed matter and/or material science. If you want to work on anything else solar powered then mechanical engineering is probably your best bet. Although I have heard of electrical engineers developing PV cells as well.

I can understand your concern about choosing the right major for your career in energy studies, specifically in the field of solar energy. Both physics and mechanical engineering have their own strengths and applications when it comes to energy research and development. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests and career goals.

Physics is a fundamental science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy. In the context of energy studies, physics can provide a solid foundation in understanding the underlying principles of solar energy and its conversion into usable forms of energy. This can be beneficial in designing and optimizing solar energy systems.

On the other hand, mechanical engineering is a more applied discipline that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. In the energy field, mechanical engineers play a crucial role in designing and developing efficient solar energy systems, including the components and devices used in the process.

In terms of studying solar energy, both physics and mechanical engineering can be equally beneficial. While physics may focus more on the theoretical understanding of solar energy, mechanical engineering can provide more practical skills in designing and building solar energy systems.

It is also important to note that both fields are constantly evolving and overlapping, and there are many interdisciplinary research opportunities in the field of solar energy. Therefore, it is not necessary to limit yourself to just one discipline. You can always combine your knowledge in physics and mechanical engineering to pursue a career in solar energy research.

In terms of your concerns about only studying the properties of a specific piece rather than the whole system, this can be addressed by choosing a research project or graduate program that aligns with your interests and goals. You can also consider collaborating with researchers from different disciplines to get a more comprehensive understanding of solar energy systems.

In conclusion, both physics and mechanical engineering can be suitable for a career in solar energy research. It is essential to choose the path that aligns with your interests and career goals. I would also recommend exploring different research opportunities and seeking guidance from professors or professionals in the field to make an informed decision. Best of luck in your studies and future endeavors!

1. What is the difference between physics and mechanical engineering in terms of studying energy?

Physics deals with the fundamental principles and laws that govern energy and its various forms, such as kinetic, potential, and thermal energy. Mechanical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the practical application of these principles to design and build machines and systems that utilize energy.

2. Which field offers more opportunities for studying renewable energy sources?

Both physics and mechanical engineering offer significant opportunities for studying renewable energy sources. However, mechanical engineering may be better suited for those interested in the design and development of renewable energy technologies, while physics may be more suitable for those interested in the fundamental research and understanding of these sources.

3. Can someone with a physics background work in the field of mechanical engineering for energy?

Yes, someone with a physics background can certainly work in the field of mechanical engineering for energy. Many concepts and principles in physics, such as thermodynamics and mechanics, are directly applicable to mechanical engineering in the context of energy systems. However, some additional training and education may be necessary to fully transition into the field.

4. Which field requires more advanced mathematical skills?

Both physics and mechanical engineering require a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. However, mechanical engineering may require more advanced mathematical skills, as it involves the design and analysis of complex systems and machines.

5. Is one field considered to be more challenging than the other when studying energy?

Both physics and mechanical engineering can be challenging when studying energy, as they both involve a deep understanding of complex concepts and principles. The level of difficulty may depend on the individual's strengths and interests, as well as the specific courses and topics being studied.