Three phase ac motors 110v help

In summary, this motor is not compatible with standard US household voltage and needs to be converted to run on a single phase circuit.
motorhed
I have a motor i am trying to get to work. The tag on it says its a three phase asynchronous motor. 110v and i think the current is 6.9amps. When i turn it on it hums and if i spin the motor it will start to go and will spin very slowly but as soon as any resistance is applied it stops and just hums. Now i did some research online and from what i understand 3 phase has 3 hot legs and is generally used in industrial settings. I have this plugged into my regular wall outlet which to my understanding is 110v single phase a/c.

Engineering news on Phys.org
motorhed said:
I have a motor i am trying to get to work. The tag on it says its a three phase asynchronous motor. 110v and i think the current is 6.9amps. When i turn it on it hums and if i spin the motor it will start to go and will spin very slowly but as soon as any resistance is applied it stops and just hums. Now i did some research online and from what i understand 3 phase has 3 hot legs and is generally used in industrial settings. I have this plugged into my regular wall outlet which to my understanding is 110v single phase a/c.

Unless this is a very valuable motor, sell it for scrap and buy a single phase motor. I'm guessing you're in the US; you have single phase (2 phase if you want to split hairs) and it's expensive to change.

motorhed said:

Why do you want to get it to run?
If it is for a specific application, then as suggested a single phase motor will cost between $50-100 US, and is the best thing to do.

If you are using it as a learning tool...?

An electrical shop might check it for free, or a small fee, if it is good then look at the following link.
A converter for that size motor looks to be around $100.00 US, and will change single phase to three phase.

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/PDF/SPL-2009-C.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
It is actually for a machine. It just has a belt attached to it to spin. I have no problem buying a new motor but i want to pick one up preferably today or have one overnighted to me if anyone knows where i can get a similar one. Here is some more info on it, i need the new motor to be the same size as this one or similar because it is mounted to a bracket on the machine.

3 phase asynchronous motor
6.9A current
110v
1390 rev/min

That came straight off the tag.

I presume this is a 50Hz application. Is this correct? Is this a 1/2 HP motor? What is the rated temperature rise? What about shaft size, dimensional requirements, etc? Look in the Grainger catalog at
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?operator=retrieveProdLevel1Index&prodLevelList=Motor%257CMotors%252C&prod_level_selected=Motor [Broken]
or at
http://www.usmotors.com/This_is_USEM/about008.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the motor on there now is 50hz. Not sure what the difference in application is. I just did some research and a similar motor i would need would need these specs.

3/4 HP, 1/60/110 volt drive, 1,400 rpm.

Would one with more HP be better?

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00fCUETGtBFVblM/Y-Series-Three-Phase-Electric-Motor-Y802-4-.jpg

picture of motor

TVP45 said:
(2 phase if you want to split hairs)

Actually, I DO prefer to split hairs, and it is NOT 2 phase. Feel free to PM me or start another thread if you want to discuss it farther.

I'm assuming the picture is of the 3phase motor you want to replace. Keep in mind that a single phase motor of comparable size may not have the starting torque required to run whatever it is you're putting it on.

starting torque is not a problem, i can manually get the machine going before i turn the motor on.

motorhed said:
Would one with more HP be better?
Wouldn't hurt. It seems your main concern is mounting, shaft fit, RPM, and direction of rotation.

Averagesupernova said:
Actually, I DO prefer to split hairs, and it is NOT 2 phase. Feel free to PM me or start another thread if you want to discuss it farther.

Lighten up. I put that in only because about third time I post on phase, somebody starts an ongoing argument. I'm too old to argue about this.

well i brought it to a motor shop and he said easiest way was to get this box that converts 220v single phase to 3 phase, works like a charm now. cost me like 150bux tho.

TVP45 said:
Lighten up. I put that in only because about third time I post on phase, somebody starts an ongoing argument. I'm too old to argue about this.

Then you shouldn't have brought it up. You are now forever excused from arguing about single vs. 2 phase. However, if anyone else has questions, I'd be glad to answer.

motorhed said:
well i brought it to a motor shop and he said easiest way was to get this box that converts 220v single phase to 3 phase, works like a charm now. cost me like 150bux tho.
Are you sure you didn't get ripped off? Why couldn't he have sold you a single phase motor in the first place?

He said a single phase was going to cost a lot more then the converter and would be a lot bigger and id have to make a whole new bracket to mount it. Problem solved so I am not rly worried about it, he was a nice guy and even let me go pick the part up without paying him until the next day and offered to help me wire the thing up if i needed help.

Averagesupernova said:
Then you shouldn't have brought it up. You are now forever excused from arguing about single vs. 2 phase. However, if anyone else has questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Since you won't let it be, I'll take part in a discussion if you want. My only interest is historical, but I'd still like to see some good opinions on this since it's one of the perennial questions (What's the difference between bolts and screws? What's the difference between pipe and tube? Should single phase be called 2 phase?). So, if you want, go ahead and frame a question. I'll put in my two cents.

There really isn't anything to that discussion. Here's a wiki on "two phase power": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_phase

240V power is sort of in two phases, though, but it generally isn't called "two phase power" because it is actually just one phase of a 3 phase system that is then split in half. Ie, split phase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase
A split phase electricity distribution system is a 3-wire single-phase distribution system, commonly used in North America for single-family residential and light commercial (up to about 100 kVA) applications. It is the AC equivalent of the original Edison 3-wire direct current system. Its primary advantage is that it saves conductor material over a single ended single phase system while only requiring single phase on the supply side of the distribution transformer.[1] Since there are two live conductors in the system, it is sometimes incorrectly referred to as "two phase". To avoid confusion with split-phase motor start applications, it is appropriate to call this power distribution system a 3-wire, single-phase, mid-point neutral system.

In North America, the high leg delta system allows single-phase 120 V loads and 240 V three-phase loads both to be served by the same three-phase, four-wire distribution system.
No need for a heated debate.

russ_watters said:
There really isn't anything to that discussion. Here's a wiki on "two phase power": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_phase

240V power is sort of in two phases, though, but it generally isn't called "two phase power" because it is actually just one phase of a 3 phase system that is then split in half. Ie, split phase: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_phase No need for a heated debate.

See? You could join in also. It's an endless discussion: Should we call it 120V 1Ph, 120V/120V 1Ph, 240V CT 1Ph, 120V 2 Ph, and so on? And, after that there's always the old one about "twist drills" vs "drill bits". Only engineers can truly love these arguments.o:) If we beat this to death, there's always the age-old tangent of "If Herman Westinghouse had been Edison's brother, would we be having this discussion?".

It's only endless when someone will not admit defeat. The wiki article should make you realize why calling 3-wire single phase '2-phase' is incorrect.

I thought perhaps you wanted to discuss this? If you only wanted to say I'm wrong, I never call it anything but single phase, CT, anyway.

1. What is a three phase AC motor?

A three phase AC motor is a type of electric motor that operates with three alternating currents, or phases, of electricity. These motors are commonly used in industrial and commercial settings due to their high efficiency and power output.

2. How does a three phase AC motor work?

A three phase AC motor works by using the interactions between the rotating magnetic field created by the alternating currents and the stationary parts of the motor. This creates a torque that drives the motor's rotation.

3. What is the difference between a single phase and a three phase motor?

The main difference between a single phase and a three phase motor is the number of alternating currents used to power the motor. A single phase motor only uses one alternating current, while a three phase motor uses three. This allows three phase motors to be more powerful and efficient than single phase motors.

4. Can a three phase AC motor be operated with 110v power?

Yes, a three phase AC motor can be operated with 110v power, but it will not run at its full potential. In order to achieve maximum power and efficiency, a three phase motor requires a higher voltage power source, typically 208v or 240v.

5. How do I troubleshoot problems with a three phase AC motor operating on 110v?

If you are experiencing issues with a three phase AC motor operating on 110v, it is likely due to the motor not receiving enough power. You may need to check the voltage of the power source and make sure it is within the recommended range for the motor. It is also important to check for any loose connections or damaged components. If the issue persists, it is recommended to consult a professional for further assistance.