Creating 23KHz Ultrasound: Components and Considerations

• Thread starter MythUser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ultrasound
In summary, the conversation revolves around producing 23KHz ultrasound at a pressure of 70-100 dB. The individual is considering using a device to create the signal, an amplifier, and either a transducer or piezo-buzzer. They are seeking advice on off-the-shelf components and the best type of signal to drive the output device. The conversation also mentions the potential effects of ultrasonic waves on animals and the importance of being mindful of safety precautions. Finally, the individual also mentions using a bark collar as an alternative method for training their dog.
MythUser
Thanks for reading my post.

I would like to produce 23KHz ultrasound at a presure of 70 to 100 dB.

I am thinking that I will need a device to create the 23KHz signal, an amplifier, and either a transducer or a piezo-buzzer.

I'm looking for a point in the right direction.

Are there any off the shelf components that would make this easy?

What sort of signal would be best for driving the output device? (sine, saw-tooth, square, etc.)

Thanks again.

Engineering news on Phys.org
23 KHz is just slightly above the audio range of human hearing but very obvious to cats and dogs and bats. Maybe you have a barking dog you want to annoy?

Anyway, you could possibly look at some different sorts of tweeters. The better ones probably go well past 22 KHz. Never tried, but a decent audio amplifier feeding into just a tweeter might produce significant output.

Ideally, you might like to borrow a sound level meter that works up there, too. Very high levels of ultrasonic acoustic waves can cause heating of flesh/bone interfaces. Never tried that either. :)

Just sinewaves from an audio signal generator or function generator would be OK.

vk6kro said:
23 KHz is just slightly above the audio range of human hearing but very obvious to cats and dogs and bats.

Just so. But I believe that only young humans who have never had an inner ear infection and who live in a pre-industrial society can hear anything over 19KHz.

vk6kro said:
Maybe you have a barking dog you want to annoy?

I wish to train the dog more so than annoy or harm anyone or anything. I would like to teach the dog that one to three barks in a row are fine but continuous barking is not allowed.

vk6kro said:
Anyway, you could possibly look at some different sorts of tweeters. The better ones probably go well past 22 KHz. Never tried, but a decent audio amplifier feeding into just a tweeter might produce significant output.

If I knew this project were going to be successful then I would not mind buying another receiver/amp just for the project. I have tweeters that say they produce up to 22KHz now but the amp will only handle 20KHz. I doubt the claims of some of the audio vendors already.

vk6kro said:
Ideally, you might like to borrow a sound level meter that works up there, too. Very high levels of ultrasonic acoustic waves can cause heating of flesh/bone interfaces. Never tried that either. :)

Just sinewaves from an audio signal generator or function generator would be OK.

Thanks for the safety tip. In plastics manufacturing, ultrasound is oft used to weld parts. In that case, the range is direct contact whereas I will be using this at a range of 25 meters. And they use much higher frequencies. It is true, however, that adding any a acoustic wave, from sub to ultra sonic, to a system will add heat to that system. I will be mindful of this whatever I do.

Thanks for the reply, Vk6kro.

If I knew this project were going to be successful then I would not mind buying another receiver/amp just for the project. I have tweeters that say they produce up to 22KHz now but the amp will only handle 20KHz. I doubt the claims of some of the audio vendors already.

If your amplifier is rated to 20 KHz that is probably just the 3dB point and you could still get a lot of power out at 23 KHz.

The easy way to find out is to do it with your dog in the room and see when he goes cross-eyed. :-)

Or, you could put an oscilloscope across the tweeter and see what sort of voltage you get. About 11.2 volts peak to peak would be 2 watts for an 8 ohm tweeter, which should be plenty.
Otherwise you could set all the dogs in the neighborhood barking.

MythUser said:
I will be mindful of this whatever I do.

I sure hope so. If you are doing this anywhere other humans or animals can be affected, you could be setting yourself up for a lawsuit. 25 meters implies that you will be affecting others...

Have you considered a simple bark collar? They haver settings like you described (couple barks okay, more gives a mild training shock), and would not put you in a position of liability with other people and animals.

What is tinkering with ultrasound?

Tinkering with ultrasound is the process of adjusting, modifying, or experimenting with ultrasound technology. This can include making changes to the hardware, software, or settings of ultrasound machines to achieve specific goals, such as improving image quality or developing new diagnostic techniques.

What are the potential applications of tinkering with ultrasound?

The potential applications of tinkering with ultrasound are vast and varied. Some examples include developing new medical imaging techniques, improving the accuracy of medical diagnoses, and creating new tools for non-invasive surgeries. It can also be used in industrial settings for quality control, materials testing, and other applications.

Is tinkering with ultrasound safe?

Tinkering with ultrasound can be safe if done properly and with caution. However, it is important to note that ultrasound technology can be powerful and potentially harmful if used incorrectly. It is essential to have a thorough understanding of ultrasound principles and safety protocols before tinkering with ultrasound equipment.

What skills are required for tinkering with ultrasound?

Tinkering with ultrasound requires a strong foundation in physics and engineering principles, as well as knowledge of ultrasound technology and its applications. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Practical skills such as soldering, wiring, and programming may also be necessary.

Are there any resources available for learning how to tinker with ultrasound?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to tinker with ultrasound. These can include online tutorials, educational courses, books, and workshops. It is also helpful to connect with other scientists and professionals in the field for guidance and advice.