Problem with air core transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two toroidal inductors, one as a primary and the other as the secondary, to transfer a radio signal. However, the individual is experiencing difficulties as there is no signal on the secondary inductor. It is mentioned that the inductors are toroidal with iron cores placed in series. The possibility of coupling RF between the two inductors is also brought up, but it is noted that there may be limitations due to the placement of the windings. The importance of considering various factors such as impedance, core material characteristics, and core saturation is emphasized in order to create a usable transformer. The individual expresses their gratitude for the assistance.
Idea04
I have two inductors, one as a primary and the other as the secondary. I am trying to transfer the radio signal from the primary inductor to the secondary inductor. But I am getting no signal on the secondary inductor. The radio signal is a voltage signal with very little current. The inductors are toroidal with iron cores. Placed in series to one another. Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand this correctly, you have two separate toroidal inductors and want to couple RF from one to the other?

yes, is that possible.

Two toroids placed near each other will have very little coupling. The lion's share of magnetic flux remains within a toroid. That's its purpose. You must place both windings on the same toroid to make a transformer. there are several other things to consider, as well: impedance, core material characterisitcs (mainly frequency response), core saturation, inter-winding capacitance, wire resistance, to name a few. Neglecting to understand any of those can make your transformer unusable.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.

1. What is an air core transformer?

An air core transformer is a type of transformer that uses air as the core material instead of a ferromagnetic material. This means that the primary and secondary windings are not wound around a metal core, but are instead separated by an air gap.

2. What are the advantages of using an air core transformer?

One advantage of using an air core transformer is that there is no energy loss due to hysteresis or eddy currents, which can occur in transformers with ferromagnetic cores. Another advantage is that air core transformers are typically smaller and lighter than traditional transformers, making them more suitable for portable or compact devices.

3. What are the main problems associated with air core transformers?

The main problem with air core transformers is that they have a lower efficiency compared to transformers with ferromagnetic cores. This is because air has a lower permeability than iron or other ferromagnetic materials, meaning that it cannot store as much magnetic energy. Additionally, air core transformers may be more susceptible to external interference or noise due to the lack of shielding from a metal core.

4. How can the efficiency of an air core transformer be improved?

One way to improve the efficiency of an air core transformer is to increase the number of windings in the primary and secondary coils. This allows for a stronger magnetic field to be generated, compensating for the lower permeability of air. Additionally, using high-quality materials and careful design can also help to improve the efficiency of an air core transformer.

5. In what applications are air core transformers commonly used?

Air core transformers are commonly used in high frequency applications, such as radio transmission and power transmission at high voltages. They are also used in some types of electronic devices, such as audio amplifiers and power supplies, where size and weight are important considerations.