Derivation of Lagrangian for Classical Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the classical electrodynamic Lagrangian and adding in the contribution of fictitious magnetic charges and currents. It is suggested to use the non-relativistic Lagrangian density and treat each infinitesimal piece of the charge/current distribution as a point charge with current density. The conversation also mentions a book that provides a derivation for this Lagrangian.
Born2bwire
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is there a derivation for the classical electrodynamic Lagrangian? I have taken a look at a few textbooks that I have on hand but all of them just state the Lagrangian (in the voodoo four-vector talk, \glares) without explaining the reasoning behind it. I know that the Lagrangian for a charged particle can be found by working it out but I am interesed in the Lagrangian from current and charge sources. What I want to do is apply the non-relativistic Lagrangian density,

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\epsilon E^2-\frac{1}{\mu}B^2\right) - \phi\rho + \mathbf{J}\cdot\mathbf{A}[/tex]

and add in the contribution due to fictious magnetic charges and currents. We often use magnetic currents in our work to simplify the solution process and increase robustness and though I am tempted to just add in the analogue terms from the dual I do not want to just haphazardly cram in terms that look like they are correct without knowing that the principles are sound.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know how to work out the Lagrangian for a charged particle, you can just use that! Treat each infinitesimal piece of your extended charge/current distribution as a point charge [itex]dq=\rho dV[/itex] with current density [itex]\textbf{J}=\rho\textbf{v}[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
If you know how to work out the Lagrangian for a charged particle, you can just use that! Treat each infinitesimal piece of your extended charge/current distribution as a point charge [itex]dq=\rho dV[/itex] with current density [itex]\textbf{J}=\rho\textbf{v}[/itex].

Ok, I was figuring that was going to be it, I got as far as that in Jackson before I saw something shiny and then before I knew it's bedtime. I'll give this a go when I reboot in the morning. Unfortunately this isn't looking like it's going to set itself up the way I would like it to unless I can play around with the gauges... Eh screw it, I'm going to bed.

Born2bwire said:
...What I want to do is apply the non-relativistic Lagrangian density,

[tex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\epsilon E^2-\frac{1}{\mu}B^2\right) - \phi\rho + \mathbf{J}\cdot\mathbf{A}[/tex]

and add in the contribution due to fictious magnetic charges and currents.

This looks like the relativistic Lagrangian density to me, just not in four vector and tensor form?

A derivation is given in the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Claude Itzykson and Jean-Bernard Zuber, page 7 and further.

1. What is the Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of electrically charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It is used to define the equations of motion for these particles and to calculate their trajectories.

2. How is the Lagrangian derived in classical electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a particle is the one that minimizes the action (a mathematical quantity defined by the Lagrangian). This derivation involves applying the Euler-Lagrange equations to the Lagrangian function.

3. What are the components of the Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics consists of two main components: the kinetic energy of the charged particles and the electromagnetic potential energy. The kinetic energy is described by the particles' mass and velocity, while the electromagnetic potential energy is determined by the electric and magnetic fields in which the particles are moving.

4. How is the Lagrangian used in classical electrodynamics?

The Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics is used to derive the equations of motion for electrically charged particles in an electromagnetic field. These equations can then be solved to determine the particles' trajectories and to understand how they interact with the electromagnetic field.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics?

The use of the Lagrangian in classical electrodynamics allows for a more elegant and concise formulation of the equations of motion compared to the traditional approach of using Newton's laws. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and symmetries of the system, and allows for the incorporation of more complex systems and interactions.