How to use Lagrange approach to solve elastic collision?

In summary, you tried to use Lagrangian and Hamiltonian to solve 1-D elastic collision, but you got nothing but constant velocity motion.
kof9595995
I tried to use Lagrangian and Hamiltonian to solve 1-D elastic collision, but I got nothing but constant velocity motion. Is it because I miss some constraint? Such as the motion is colinear or something?But how to write a constraint like colinear?
Or it's not actually solvable with Hamiltonian or Lagrangian?(I think this is a possibility because when I learned Newtonian mechanics we actually didn't solve this with Newton's 3 laws directly, but with conservation laws.)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two solutions to the elastic collision problem. One is constant velocity motion, and the other is the one you are interested in. Look back at your steps and find out where you accidentally threw away the wrong solution.

Well,thanks for the reply, but honestly I can't see how it would help. I didn't find anything about Hamilton's or Lagrange's mechanics in the link.

The error has nothing to do with Hamiltonian or Lagrangian mechanics, it is just math. You have an equation which has more than one solution (e.g. x² = 4 has the solutions x = 2 and x = -2). You simply threw away the wrong solution. Go back, find where you threw away a solution and keep the one you threw away.

Ok, let me clarify my problem:
I used to think to solve a classical system like this, all you need is Lagrangian and some constraints, then you can solve for all the details of the motion.
But in this problem how should I write a constraint?

I would do it by making the potential energy increase very sharply for r<R where r is the separation between the two objects and R is the sum of their radii. This will have the effect of modelling the elastic potential energy in the collision. There may be a more advanced way that has some advantage, but that would be how I would approach it.

Ok, I'll try, thanks

1. What is the Lagrange approach to solving elastic collisions?

The Lagrange approach is a mathematical method used to solve problems involving elastic collisions. It involves using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy to calculate the velocities of objects after the collision. This approach is useful for solving complex collision problems involving multiple objects.

2. How do you set up the equations for a Lagrange approach to an elastic collision?

To use the Lagrange approach, you first need to identify the initial velocities and masses of the objects involved in the collision. Then, you set up equations using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy, along with the equations of motion. These equations will help you solve for the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

3. Can the Lagrange approach be used for both one-dimensional and two-dimensional elastic collisions?

Yes, the Lagrange approach can be used for both one-dimensional and two-dimensional elastic collisions. In one-dimensional collisions, the objects are moving in a straight line, while in two-dimensional collisions, the objects may have velocities in different directions. The equations used in the Lagrange approach can be adjusted to accommodate both scenarios.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange approach to solve elastic collisions?

The Lagrange approach allows for a more systematic and comprehensive solution to elastic collision problems. It takes into account the principles of conservation of momentum and energy, making it a more accurate method compared to other approaches. It also allows for the calculation of velocities of multiple objects involved in the collision.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrange approach for solving elastic collisions?

One limitation of the Lagrange approach is that it can be quite complex and time-consuming, especially for collisions involving multiple objects. Additionally, this approach assumes that the objects involved in the collision are perfectly elastic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also affect the accuracy of the results.