The Heating of Nichrome Wire in a toaster

In summary, the conversation is about finding the final temperature of a Nichrome heating element, given its resistance at different temperatures and the initial and final currents. The conversation also mentions the equations V=IR and \alpha = \frac {\rho - \rho_0} {\rho} (T_f - T_0), and suggests using resistivity to find a solution.
gc33550

Homework Statement

A toaster with a Nichrome heating element has a resistance of 70 ohms at 20oC and an initial current of 1.6 A. When the heating element reaches its final temperature, the current is 1.39 A. What is the final temperature of the heating element?

Homework Equations

V=IR
[tex]\alpha[/tex]=([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\rho[/tex]o)/[tex]\rho[/tex]/(Tf-To)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the voltage will remain constant therefore:
Io*Ro=If*Rf
I also know that Nichrome's [tex]\alpha[/tex]=100e-8
but I don't really know where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
from [tex]

\alpha = \frac {\rho - \rho_0} {\rho} (T_f - T_0)

[/tex]

try to derive an equation for R as a function of R_0, T_0, T_f and [itex] \alpha [/itex]
you know the new R from ohms law.

The temperature coefficent of nichrome is [itex] 4 *10^{-4} K^{-1} [/itex]

So am I going to be looking at resistivity then? such as [tex]\rho[/tex]=R*A/L ??

gc33550 said:
So am I going to be looking at resistivity then? such as [tex]\rho[/tex]=R*A/L ??

yes. Instead of [tex]\rho[/tex]=R*A/L you can use [tex]\rho[/tex]=R*C. You don't know what A and L are anyway, except that they are constant.

C as in capacitance? How do I find that?

gc33550 said:
C as in capacitance? How do I find that?

no it's just an arbitrary constant

would that constant be in my physics book somewhere?

1. How does a toaster heat up the nichrome wire?

The toaster uses electricity to flow through the nichrome wire, causing it to heat up and glow red hot. This heat then radiates onto the bread, toasting it.

2. Why is nichrome wire used in toasters?

Nichrome wire has a high resistance to electricity, which means it can handle a lot of current without overheating. This makes it ideal for use in toasters, where it needs to generate a lot of heat quickly.

3. How does the thickness of the nichrome wire affect the heating process?

The thickness of the nichrome wire affects the resistance and therefore the amount of current that can flow through it. Thicker wire has lower resistance and can handle more current, resulting in a faster heating process.

4. Can the heating of nichrome wire be controlled in a toaster?

Yes, the heating of nichrome wire in a toaster can be controlled through the use of a thermostat. This device measures the temperature and adjusts the flow of electricity to the wire to maintain a consistent level of heat.

5. Is heating nichrome wire in a toaster safe?

Yes, heating nichrome wire in a toaster is safe as long as the wire is not damaged or exposed. The toaster also has safety features, such as automatic shut off, to prevent overheating and potential hazards.