Hyperbolic interplanetary transfer

• Thread starter dilasluis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbolic
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the hyperbolic excess speed for a spacecraft traveling from Earth's parking orbit to Jupiter. The speaker initially presents a formula for the hyperbolic velocity, but then realizes it is incorrect and provides a correction. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of using a patched conic transfer orbit for the journey.
dilasluis
Could someone tell me if I'm right or wong...

I want to calculate de hyperbolic excess speed for a spacecraft that leaves Earth parking orbit on a hyperbolic orbit in direction to Jupiter to arrive there in optimum conditions.

It's not an Hohmann heliocentric transfer!

so, i though that:

[tex] v_{\infty} = v_{park} - v_{earth/jupiter} [/tex]

Is it right, or is it worng?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm totally dumb!

Sorry, this tread can now be safely closed (and it only passed less than 10 min)...

The hyperbolic velocity that I previosly wrote is totally wrong!

In fact, [tex] v_{\infty} = \Delta v [/tex] where [tex] \Delta v [/tex] is the first impulse from the hohmann heliocentric transfer...

dilasluis said:
Sorry, this tread can now be safely closed (and it only passed less than 10 min)...

The hyperbolic velocity that I previosly wrote is totally wrong!

In fact, [tex] v_{\infty} = \Delta v [/tex] where [tex] \Delta v [/tex] is the first impulse from the hohmann heliocentric transfer...
You could work up a dissertation on the patched conic transfer orbit, starting with a hyperbola relative to Earth and changing over--abruptly or interpolatively?...how does one treat the region where the sun's influence and Earth's are commensurate? -- to an ellipse or hyperbola relative to the sun.

Jerry Abbott

1. What is a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer?

A hyperbolic interplanetary transfer is a trajectory that uses the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body to propel a spacecraft towards another destination in the solar system. It is often used to save fuel and reduce travel time.

2. How does a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer work?

The spacecraft enters the gravitational field of a planet and uses its velocity to slingshot around the planet, gaining speed and changing direction. This allows the spacecraft to reach its destination with less fuel and in a shorter amount of time compared to a direct route.

3. What are the advantages of using a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer?

The main advantage of a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer is that it can save fuel and reduce travel time. This is especially important for long-distance missions, as it allows for more efficient use of resources and can also decrease the risk of human error during long journeys.

4. Are there any risks or limitations to using a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer?

One potential risk of a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer is the possibility of the spacecraft getting too close to the planet or other celestial body, which could result in a collision. Additionally, the timing and accuracy of the trajectory must be precise for the transfer to be successful. There may also be limitations based on the capabilities and technology of the spacecraft.

5. How is a hyperbolic interplanetary transfer calculated and planned?

A hyperbolic interplanetary transfer is calculated and planned using complex mathematical equations and computer simulations. Factors such as the gravitational pull of the celestial bodies, the speed and direction of the spacecraft, and the timing of the trajectory must all be taken into account to ensure a successful transfer. This process requires a team of highly skilled scientists and engineers to plan and execute the transfer.