Proving equivalence classes bijective to the set of points on the unit circle

In summary: So you're saying that the unit circle is actually a function from the set of real numbers, R, to itself?In summary, The problem asks to define a relation on the set of real numbers, where two real numbers are considered equivalent if their difference is an integer. The task is to show that the set of equivalence classes for this relation is bijective to the set of points on the unit circle. To do this, one must construct a bijection by finding a set of representative elements for each equivalence class and labeling them accordingly. The unit circle can be defined with one parameter, representing the angle from 0 to 2π, and it is a 1D line.
ams2990

Homework Statement

De fine a relation on R as follows. Two real numbers [tex]x, y[/tex] are
equivalent if [tex]x - y[/tex] [tex] \epsilon Z [/tex] . Show that the set of equivalence classes of this relation is bijective to the set of points on the unit circle.

Homework Equations

N/A? I don't think there are any special equations that are needed for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

A part of the problem that I've omitted asked us to prove that the relation is an equivalence one -- I've done that. I've also defined the set of points on the unit circle, which is [tex]\{ a,b \epsilon R | \sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}} \} [/tex] Damned if I know where to go from here, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi ams2990! Welcome to PF! :smile:
ams2990 said:
Define a relation on R as follows. Two real numbers [tex]x, y[/tex] are
equivalent if [tex]x - y[/tex] [tex] \epsilon Z [/tex] . Show that the set of equivalence classes of this relation is bijective to the set of points on the unit circle.

How would you label each class?

(in other words, what are the classes?)

tiny-tim said:
How would you label each class?

(in other words, what are the classes?)
Not really sure what you're asking...the equivalence class of [tex]a \in A[/tex] is [tex] [ a ] [/tex], which is the set of all elements equivalent to [tex]a[/tex].

ams2990 said:
Not really sure what you're asking...the equivalence class of [tex]a \in A[/tex] is [tex] [ a ] [/tex], which is the set of all elements equivalent to [tex]a[/tex].

ok, and what is that?

Bijective means there exists a bijection. You need to construct the bijection (one-to one and onto mapping.)

(Consider ways to iterate over all the points on the unit circle).

To index your equivalence classes it is sufficient to refer to representative elements. Can you think of a good set of representative elements one element for each equivalence class?

tiny-tim said:
ok, and what is that?
Uh, really vague question, but I'm assuming you're asking what the contents of the class are. For any [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b \in Z[/tex], the contents will be [tex]a + b[/tex], for all [tex]b[/tex]. Stated another way, the class will be [tex]a[/tex] + every integer value. So if [tex]a = 1.5[/tex], [tex][a][/tex] will be [tex]\{...,-1.5,-.5,.5,1.5,2.5,3.5,4.5,...\}[/tex]

ok, so how would you label that class (what name would you give it, to distinguish it from any different class)?

jambaugh said:
Bijective means there exists a bijection. You need to construct the bijection (one-to one and onto mapping.)

(Consider ways to iterate over all the points on the unit circle).

To index your equivalence classes it is sufficient to refer to representative elements. Can you think of a good set of representative elements one element for each equivalence class?
I was thinking about a good way to traverse the points. The obvious solution of choice are sine and cosine. I'm not sure how to create a function from what would seem like [tex]R \times R[/tex] when the relation is only defined on [tex]R[/tex]. Can I "pretend" it's [tex]R \times R[/tex] because I have [tex]a,b \in R[/tex]?
[EDIT]That was extremely poorly worded. Let me try to rephrase. The function as I see it would be from [tex]R \times R[/tex] to [tex]R[/tex]. Is there a distinction between a function based on [tex]R \times R[/tex] and one based on two elements from [tex]R[/tex]? Are these the same thing?

Also, how do I enforce "bounds checking" on my function? (i.e., not traverse the circle more than once) Do I even want this? [/EDIT]

As to the indices, obviously the name of the class would be the element for which the equivalence is true...so for [tex][a][/tex], it would be [tex]a[/tex], right?

tiny-tim said:
ok, so how would you label that class (what name would you give it, to distinguish it from any different class)?
[tex][a][/tex]?

Last edited:
ah, now I see you write R x R, I can see what's confused you.

You're making this especially complicated by defining the unit circle with two parameters (a and b or x and y), as if it were part of the (2D) plane.

The unit circle is 1D … find a way of defining it with one parameter. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
ah, now I see you write R x R, I can see what's confused you.

You're making this especially complicated by defining the unit circle with two parameters (a and b or x and y), as if it were part of the (2D) plane.

The unit circle is 1D … find a way of defining it with one parameter. :smile:
Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense, but if you only had one parameter, then it would be [tex]R \Rightarrow R \times R[/tex], right? Like a parametric function?

ams2990 said:
Sorry if I'm being incredibly dense, but if you only had one parameter, then it would be [tex]R \Rightarrow R \times R[/tex], right? Like a parametric function?

Forget R x R …

you're only interested in the unit circle for itself, not for anything it's related to.

The unit circle is a 1D line, just like the unit interval is a 1D line (you wouldn't insist on using two parameters for the unit interval, would you, even though you can embed in in 2D?) …

we normally label it with a parameter going from 0 to 2π. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Forget R x R …

you're only interested in the unit circle for itself, not for anything it's related to.
Yea, remember its only points themselves not the shape. Imagine you can cut the circle and bend it however you like ... or even [red herring] chop it into pieces if necessary. [\red herring]

1. What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a set of objects or elements that are considered equivalent or indistinguishable based on a certain property or relationship. In mathematics, equivalence classes are often used to group together objects that have the same value or satisfy the same conditions.

2. How do you prove that two sets are bijective?

To prove that two sets are bijective, you must show that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets. This means that each element in one set must be associated with exactly one element in the other set, and vice versa.

3. What does it mean for a set to be bijective to the points on the unit circle?

If a set is bijective to the points on the unit circle, it means that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the set and the points on the unit circle. In other words, each element in the set can be uniquely mapped to a point on the unit circle, and vice versa.

4. How can you prove that equivalence classes are bijective to the set of points on the unit circle?

To prove that equivalence classes are bijective to the set of points on the unit circle, you must show that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the equivalence classes and the points on the unit circle. This can be done by defining a function that maps each element of the equivalence class to a point on the unit circle, and proving that this function is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto).

5. Why is proving equivalence classes bijective to the set of points on the unit circle important?

Proving equivalence classes bijective to the set of points on the unit circle is important because it helps establish a strong mathematical connection between two seemingly unrelated sets. It also allows us to use the properties and relationships of one set to better understand and solve problems related to the other set. Additionally, bijective sets have many useful properties and can simplify calculations and proofs in various mathematical fields.