Proving Homotopy of Maps: A Guide with Examples

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, to prove that every map e:X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n is homotopic to a constant map, we can use the fact that any two maps f,g: X \rightarrow Y where Y is a convex subset of \mathbb{R}^n are homotopic. We can also use the straight-path homotopy H(s,t) = (1-t)e(s) + tc, since \mathbb{R}^n is convex. We don't need to assume that e(X) \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n is a convex subset, as we can restrict the codomain to form a continuous map f' : X \to \mathbb{S}
latentcorpse
Prove every map [itex]e:X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is homotopic to a constant map.

well i said that the constant map is [itex]c:X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n;x \mapsto c[/itex]
since [itex]\{ c \} \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a clealry a convex subspace and [itex]e(X)=\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a convex subspace of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], e and c must be homotopic (using the fact that any two maps [itex]f,g: X \rightarrow Y[/itex] where Y is a convex subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are homotopic).

however, I'm not sure if i can assume [itex]e(X) \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a convex subset. probably not. any ideas?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

latentcorpse said:
however, I'm not sure if i can assume [itex]e(X) \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a convex subset. probably not. any ideas?

You can't assume that, but you don't need to. The usual straight-path homotopy:
[tex]H(s,t) = (1-t)e(s) + tc[/tex]
still works since [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is convex. You seem to be confusing the image and codomain. e has codomain [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], but its image e(X) is just a subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex]. You wrote:
using the fact that any two maps [itex]f,g: X \rightarrow Y[/itex] where Y is a convex subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] are homotopic
If you know this, then this is actually sufficient since in the case of e we have that Y is [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and this is a convex subset of itself. In this quote e(X) is never mentioned and it doesn't matter that e isn't surjective.

so it's as easy as saying that since [itex]Y=\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] for both the map e and the map c and [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is a convex subset of itself, e and c both map to convex subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] and are therefore homotopic by the homotopy [itex]H: X \times I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n ; (s,t) \mapsto (1-t)e(s)+tc[/itex]

do i need to also show that this is in fact a homotopy?
i.e. show [itex]h(s,0)=e(s),h(s,1)=c(s)=c[/itex]?
or is the above enough

thanks

latentcorpse said:
do i need to also show that this is in fact a homotopy?
i.e. show [itex]h(s,0)=e(s),h(s,1)=c(s)=c[/itex]?
or is the above enough

thanks
Well that depends on how much detail you want to give. If you want to do it in great detail you would have to argue that h is continuous since it's the composition of continuous functions, and that it's in fact a homotopy from e to c. In my opinion both statement are so simple that I wouldn't bother to give more detail than you gave since you stated that h is from e to c and it's very simply to verify h(s,0) = (1-0)e(s)+0c=e(s) and h(s,1) = (1-1)e(s)+ 1c=c.

ok. thanks.

the next bit asks me to show that if [itex]f:X \rightarrow S^n[/itex] is not surjective then f is homotopic to a constant map.

well this means image is not codomain so f maps to f(X) but i can't find any useful theorems in my notes to prove there exists a homotopy. any suggestions?

thanks.

We can find some [itex]N \in \mathbb{S}^n[/itex] such that N isn't in the image of f, so we can restrict its codomain to form a continuous map [itex]f' : X \to \mathbb{S}^n \setminus \{N\}[/itex] such that [itex]f = \iota \circ f'[/itex] where [itex]\iota : \mathbb{S}^n\setminus\{N\} \to \mathbb{S}^n[/itex] is the inclusion map.

If [itex]N \in \mathbb{S}^n[/itex], then [itex]\mathbb{S}^n \setminus \{N\}[/itex] is homeomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex] by the stereographic projection [itex]\sigma : \mathbb{S}^n \setminus \{N\} \to \mathbb{R}^{n}[/itex]. You can use this fact to construct a homotopy from [itex]\sigma \circ f' : X \to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] to a constant map, and you can then use the inverse stereographic projection [itex]\sigma^{-1}[/itex] to obtain your desired homotopy.

but how do you know that there is only one such [itex]N \in S^n[/itex] that isn't in the image of [itex]f[/itex]?

also, couldn't i just say that from the argument above (i.e. in the earlier posts) that [itex]\sigma \circ f' : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is homotopic to a constant map as it is an example of such a function [itex]e: X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex].

latentcorpse said:
but how do you know that there is only one such [itex]N \in S^n[/itex] that isn't in the image of [itex]f[/itex]?
I don't. But I don't need to. We just need to remove point to get the homeomorphism, and we never state that f' is surjective (because we don't need that).

also, couldn't i just say that from the argument above (i.e. in the earlier posts) that [itex]\sigma \circ f' : X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] is homotopic to a constant map as it is an example of such a function [itex]e: X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/itex].

Yes that was what I had in mind. Then you get a homotopy [itex]h : X\times I \to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] You then compose it with [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} : \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{S}^n[/itex] and show that [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h[/itex] is your desired homotopy.

rasmhop said:
Yes that was what I had in mind. Then you get a homotopy [itex]h : X\times I \to \mathbb{R}^n[/itex] You then compose it with [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} : \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{S}^n[/itex] and show that [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h[/itex] is your desired homotopy.

so surely i can just write: and from part a) this works rather than ahving to write out the explicit homotopy.

also how can the function [itex]\iota[/itex] exist? wouldn't it have to be one-to-many?

latentcorpse said:
so surely i can just write: and from part a) this works rather than ahving to write out the explicit homotopy.

For the existence of h yes. But this still only shows them homotopic in [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] so you need to apply [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1}[/itex] to get back to a homotopy in [itex]\mathbb{S}^n[/itex].

also how can the function [itex]\iota[/itex] exist? wouldn't it have to be one-to-many?
[itex]\iota : \mathbb{S}^n\setminus\{N\} \to \mathbb{S}^n[/itex] is just the inclusion function, so it's simply the identity map of S^n with its domain restricted:
[tex]\iota(x) = x \qquad \textrm{for }x \in \mathbb{S}^n \setminus \{N\}[/tex]
It's not surjective, but we don't need it to be.

why is it important that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a homeomorphism?

also, we know h is a homotopy from the first part of the question.
how do we go about showing that [itex]\iot \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h[/itex] is also a homotopy? i can't find anything that says composition of functions with a homotopy leaves a homotopy. is that where the homeomorphism plays a role? even so, [itex]\iota[/itex] is just a function, not a homeomorphism.

latentcorpse said:
why is it important that [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a homeomorphism?
Because a homeomorphism is precisely a continuous map with a continuous inverse. Thus it's exactly what is required for [itex]\sigma^{-1}[/itex] to exist and be continuous.

how do we go about showing that [itex]\iot \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h[/itex] is also a homotopy? i can't find anything that says composition of functions with a homotopy leaves a homotopy. is that where the homeomorphism plays a role? even so, [itex]\iota[/itex] is just a function, not a homeomorphism.

A homotopy of maps from X to Y is simply a continuous map from X x I to Y. Since [itex]\sigma[/itex] is a homeomorphism [itex]\sigma^{-1}[/itex] is continuous. [itex]\iota = \textrm{id}|(\mathbb{S}^n \setminus\{N\})[/itex], so [itex]\iota[/itex] is the restriction of a continuous function and therefore [itex]\iota[/itex] is continuous. Since all three functions are continuous you know that [itex]\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h[/itex] is continuous and therefore a homotopy. You now only need to check that it's actually a homotopy from f to some constant map.
[tex](\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h)(s,0) = (\iota \circ \sigma^{-1})(h(s,0)) = (\iota \circ \sigma^{-1})((\sigma \circ f')(s)) = (\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ \sigma \circ f')(s) = (\iota \circ f')(s) = f(s)[/tex]
[tex](\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h)(s,1) = (\iota \circ \sigma^{-1})(c(s)) =(\iota \circ \sigma^{-1})(c(0)) =(\iota \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ c)(0)[/tex]

thanks but I'm still not sure about a couple of things:

(i) in your very last line shouldn't it read
[itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h)(s,1)=(i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c(s))[/itex]
but then [itex]c(s)=c[/itex] and we don't know what [itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c)[/itex] is so we just leave it as [itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c)[/itex]. now the inverse stereographic projection just maps to some point in [itex]S^n - \{ N \}[/itex] and [itex]\iota[/itex] is just the identity on this space so we remain at this point [itex]\sigma^{-1}(c) \in S^n - \{ N \}[/itex]. since [itex]c[/itex] is constant, [itex]\sigma^{-1}(c)[/itex] will be constant and so we know we have a homotopy between f and the constant map. is that correct?

(ii) to do with the reasoning:
i accept that [itex]\iota, \sigma^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] are all continuous and that's grand. but only one of them is a homotopy so how can we deduce that the composition is a homotopy? surely this conclusion should come at the very end of your argument once we've verified the composition is a continuous map from f to a constant map (as this is the definition of a homotopy from f to c). is it not?

(iii) i thought all homotopies mapped from something crossed with I (the unit interval). this composition of maps just maps from some space [itex]X[/itex] not [itex]X \times I[/itex] does it not?

latentcorpse said:
(i) in your very last line shouldn't it read
[itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1} \circ h)(s,1)=(i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c(s))[/itex]
but then [itex]c(s)=c[/itex] and we don't know what [itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c)[/itex] is so we just leave it as [itex](i \circ \sigma^{-1})(c)[/itex]. now the inverse stereographic projection just maps to some point in [itex]S^n - \{ N \}[/itex] and [itex]\iota[/itex] is just the identity on this space so we remain at this point [itex]\sigma^{-1}(c) \in S^n - \{ N \}[/itex]. since [itex]c[/itex] is constant, [itex]\sigma^{-1}(c)[/itex] will be constant and so we know we have a homotopy between f and the constant map. is that correct?
This is correct and essentially the same as mine. Since c is constant c(0) in my post is the same as what you call c.

(ii) to do with the reasoning:
i accept that [itex]\iota, \sigma^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]h[/itex] are all continuous and that's grand. but only one of them is a homotopy so how can we deduce that the composition is a homotopy? surely this conclusion should come at the very end of your argument once we've verified the composition is a continuous map from f to a constant map (as this is the definition of a homotopy from f to c). is it not?
A homotopy in general is nothing but a continuous map from I x X to Y for some space X,Y. We don't really know what this is a homotopy between, but if we have a map from I x X to S^n, then all we really need to check is that it's continuous. Thus it suffices to check that the functions are continuous. At this point we know that it's a homotopy, but we haven't yet verified what it's a homotopy from and to so that's what the last calculation is for.

(iii) i thought all homotopies mapped from something crossed with I (the unit interval). this composition of maps just maps from some space [itex]X[/itex] not [itex]X \times I[/itex] does it not?
The composition is:
[tex]X \times I \xrightarrow{h} \mathbb{R}^n \xrightarrow{\sigma^{-1}} \mathbb{S}^n \setminus \{N\} \xrightarrow{\iota} \mathbb{S}^n[/tex]
so it's a map from X x I to S^n.

Maybe the argument is easier to see in general. Let [itex]H : X \times I \to Y[/itex] be some homotopy from [itex]p : X \to Y[/itex] to [itex]q : X \to Y[/itex], and let [itex]g : Y \to Z[/itex] be a continuous map. Then [itex]g \circ H : X \times I \to Z[/itex] is a continuous map and therefore a homotopy from g(H(s,0)) = g(p(s)) to g(H(s,1))=g(q(s)). Thus we get a homotopy [itex]g \circ H : g \circ p \simeq g \circ q[/itex]. This establishes the following result:
Thm: Let [itex]p,q : X \to Y[/itex] and [itex]g : Y \to Z[/itex] be continuous maps. Then [itex]p \simeq q[/itex] imply [itex]g \circ p \simeq g \circ q[/itex].

What is homotopy and why is it important in topology?

Homotopy is a mathematical concept that studies continuous deformations of objects, such as curves or surfaces, without changing their basic properties. It is important in topology because it helps us understand the shape and structure of objects, and allows us to classify them into different categories based on their topological properties.

How can homotopy be used to solve problems in geometry?

Homotopy can be used in geometry to study the properties of geometric objects, such as curves and surfaces, by looking at their continuous deformations. It can also be used to prove theorems and solve problems by showing that two objects are homotopic, and thus have the same topological properties.

What are the main techniques used in homotopy theory?

The main techniques used in homotopy theory include the use of homotopy groups, which measure the number of holes in a space, and homology groups, which measure the number of n-dimensional holes in a space. Other techniques include the use of fibrations, spectral sequences, and category theory.

What are some real-world applications of homotopy theory?

Homotopy theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in the study of topological defects in materials, the design of algorithms and data structures, and the analysis of networks and communication systems.

Are there any online resources for homotopy homework help?

Yes, there are many online resources for homotopy homework help, including textbooks, lecture notes, and tutorials. Some popular websites for homotopy theory include MathOverflow, the nLab, and the Topology Atlas. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer online resources for students to learn and practice homotopy theory.