Using NaCl to conduct electricity?

• Thread starter ashishvinayak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, NaCl (salt) can conduct electricity due to its ionic properties, but it may not be suitable for burning a steel filament due to its high resistance. It may work for a high rpm motor with lower resistance, but for your experiment, using a different conductive material may be more effective. Thank you for sharing your experiment and keep exploring!
ashishvinayak

Homework Statement

Okay, there's this point that NaCl conducts electricity. So I tried using it to burn a steel filament (a very small filament, like ones used in bulbs.) by connecting it as a switch in a circuit with a battery.

The battery i used was 12 volts.

2. The attempt at a solution

So the circuit doesn't complete to burn the filament. However, I tried using the circuit to run a high rpm motor (300 rpm) and that worked. According to me, the filament should require much less current. However, it doesn't work in any case. What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiment with us. It is interesting that you are trying to use NaCl to conduct electricity and burn a steel filament. It is true that NaCl (salt) can conduct electricity because it is an ionic compound, meaning it has charged particles (ions) that can move and carry electric current.

However, in order for the filament to burn, it needs a certain amount of current to heat up and reach its ignition temperature. This current may be more than what the NaCl can conduct in your circuit. Additionally, the resistance of the NaCl may be too high, causing a drop in voltage and preventing enough current from reaching the filament.

As for the high rpm motor, it may require less current to run because it has a lower resistance compared to the filament. This means that more current can flow through the circuit and power the motor.

In conclusion, while NaCl can conduct electricity, it may not be suitable for your specific experiment. I would suggest using a different conductive material with lower resistance, such as copper or aluminum, to achieve your desired results. Thank you for your curiosity and keep experimenting!

1. How does NaCl conduct electricity?

NaCl, also known as table salt, conducts electricity when it is dissolved in water or melted. This is because NaCl is an ionic compound, meaning it is made up of positively and negatively charged ions. When dissolved in water or melted, the ions become free to move and carry an electrical charge, allowing the salt solution to conduct electricity.

2. Can any type of salt be used to conduct electricity?

No, not all types of salt can conduct electricity. Only salts that are ionic compounds, such as NaCl, can conduct electricity. Covalent compounds, like sugar, cannot conduct electricity because they do not have charged ions.

3. How does the concentration of NaCl affect its ability to conduct electricity?

The higher the concentration of NaCl, the more ions present in the solution, which leads to a higher conductivity. This means that a higher concentration of NaCl will result in a stronger electrical current.

4. Does the temperature of the solution affect the conductivity of NaCl?

Yes, the temperature of the solution can affect the conductivity of NaCl. As the temperature increases, the ions in the solution will have more energy and move faster, resulting in a higher conductivity. On the other hand, a decrease in temperature can lead to a decrease in conductivity.

5. What other factors can affect the conductivity of NaCl?

Other factors that can affect the conductivity of NaCl include the distance between the electrodes, the surface area of the electrodes, and the purity of the salt. These factors can impact the movement of the ions and ultimately affect the conductivity of the solution.