Homotopy and a normal homotopy between maps

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary, a rel{0,1} homotopy is a special type of homotopy between two paths with the same endpoints, where the paths must agree on the endpoints and the function describing the homotopy must be continuous. This is the only difference between a rel{0,1} homotopy and a normal homotopy.
latentcorpse
I can't see a difference between a rel{0,1} homotopy and a normal homotopy between maps.

my notes say:
What does a rel{0,1} homotopy mean? Keeping the endpoints [itex] \alpha(0), \alpha(1) \in X[/itex] of a path [itex]\alpha : I \rightarrow X[/itex] fixed during a homotopy.

we do this anyway don't we?

and then more precisely they say:
A homotopy rel {0,1} of two paths [itex] \alpha_0 , \alpha_1 : I \rightarrow X[/itex] with the same endpoints [itex]\alpha_0(0) = \alpha_1(0) , \alpha_0 (1) = \alpha_1(1) \in X[/itex]
is a collection of paths [itex]h_t : I \rightarrow X ( t \in [0,1]) [/itex] witht he same endpoints [itex]h_t(0)=\alpha_0(0)=\alpha_1(0) , h_t(1) = \alpha_0(1) = \alpha_1(1)[/itex]
such that [itex]h_0 = \alpha_0 , h_1 = \alpha_1[/itex] and such that the function
[itex] h : I \times I \rightarrow X ; (s,t) \mapsto h_t(s)[/itex] is continuous.

I can't see much difference between this and the standard homotopy definition other than the fact that such a homotopy could only be defined for maps whose endpoints are the same to begin with.

also how does [itex]h_0 = \alpha_0 , h_1 = \alpha_1[/itex]?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

If two paths are homotopic relative to a subspace, then it just means that they take the same values on that subspace. You are right in saying that the only distinction between this and a general homotopy is that the maps must agree on this subspace. In this case the subspace is [tex]\{0,1\}[/tex].

Saying two paths are homotopic does not necessarily imply that they have the same endpoints.

[tex]h_0=\alpha_0[/tex] just means that at [tex]t=0, h[/tex] agrees with [tex]\alpha_0[/tex] for all [tex]s.[/tex] Similarly, at [tex]t=1, h[/tex] agrees with [tex]\alpha_1[/tex] for all [tex]s.[/tex] Think of two paths, with the same endpoints, and infinitely many paths in between them...as [tex]t[/tex] increases the path we are on changes, and as [tex]s[/tex] increases our position on the path (how far along that path we are) changes.

1. What is homotopy?

Homotopy is a mathematical concept that describes a continuous transformation between two mathematical objects, such as maps or functions.

2. What is a normal homotopy?

A normal homotopy is a type of homotopy that preserves certain geometric properties, such as angles and distances, during the transformation between two objects.

3. How is homotopy different from a normal homotopy?

While both homotopy and normal homotopy involve continuous transformations between mathematical objects, a normal homotopy specifically preserves certain geometric properties, while a general homotopy may not.

4. What is the importance of homotopy and normal homotopy in mathematics?

Homotopy and normal homotopy are important concepts in topology and algebraic geometry, as they help to classify and understand the properties of mathematical objects. They also have applications in other fields such as physics and computer science.

5. What are some real-world examples of homotopy and normal homotopy?

Homotopy and normal homotopy can be seen in everyday objects, such as stretching a rubber band or transforming a shape without tearing or distorting it. They can also be used to study the properties of more complex systems, such as the behavior of molecules or the movement of celestial bodies.